Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,134 Posts1,056,401 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 116 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 116 | I have a '54 1 ton. I've been trying to remove the brake drum on the passenger side and noticed the shoes look to be preventing me from doing that. What's the best way to retract the shoes?
I know I have a '41 Ford tractor and there's a bolt that easily retracts them. I just can't find anything in the manual that is similar. (unless I just overlooked it)
Thanks!!
1942 BK 1/2 Ton Pickup 1954 3800 1 Ton Pickup
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | Brake adjusters on my 51 1 ton are at either end of the wheel cylinder and operated by a nut on the back side of the backing plate. Not sure if you have the same Huck brakes I have or later Bendix? If Bendix the adjuster is a star wheel at the bottom inside, operated with a brake spoon pry-bar thing.
While trying to remove the drum be kind to it, they are becoming increasingly hard to find.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,814 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,814 | Don't try to retract the shoes. Your 54 should have Bendix brakes, which are retained by nail-shaped pins through the backing plate, one on each side. Grind the heads off the pins with a small angle grinder, and unbolt the wheel cylinder, then remove drum, shoes, wheel cylinder and all as a unit. All you destroy is the shoe retainer pins, and they're readily available at any parts store.
There is a slot at the bottom of the backing plate that gives you access to the star wheel brake adjuster, but the shoes are usually rusted tight to the drum, so backing off the adjuster might not help the situation. There can also be a lip worn into the drum that lets the brake shoes hang up and prevent the drum from sliding off the shoes. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 116 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 116 | Thanks guys, I was able to pry off the drum from the shoes without harm to either.
1942 BK 1/2 Ton Pickup 1954 3800 1 Ton Pickup
| | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 1,904 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2001 Posts: 1,904 | It's good you solved your problem. When I once had stuck break shoes on a '75 Dodge truck, I heated the drum with a propane torch with good success. It had been parked with the parking break engaged for quite a while after driving around on streets with deicer. That's a no no.
1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet 34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,281 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,281 | Don't try to retract the shoes. Your 54 should have Bendix brakes, which are retained by nail-shaped pins through the backing plate, one on each side. Grind the heads off the pins with a small angle grinder, and unbolt the wheel cylinder, then remove drum, shoes, wheel cylinder and all as a unit. All you destroy is the shoe retainer pins, and they're readily available at any parts store.
There is a slot at the bottom of the backing plate that gives you access to the star wheel brake adjuster, but the shoes are usually rusted tight to the drum, so backing off the adjuster might not help the situation. There can also be a lip worn into the drum that lets the brake shoes hang up and prevent the drum from sliding off the shoes. Jerry Great tip HRL! You should write a book of "quick hitter" tips. I'm just referring to ones which don't take long to explain, but are priceless little tidbits. My attentions span isn't long enough for the long elaborate explanations, but I could spend all day reading a list of short, hot tips. We need a place on this site for something like that. Carl
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 321 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 321 | This is how I ended up getting my drums off Howard Knapp...it is/was a 1 ton truck...angle grinders are a wonderful invention for sure... shown here... Mine had the tension springs on the top I think broken...I had no other choice... not the most civilized way to do it but I couldn't think of any other way to get them off... MikeC 1951 Chevy 3800 1-TonHoward KnappIn the Stovebolt Gallery1948 Chevy 1-Ton (sold Nov 2017)1953 Chevy 1-Ton (sold 10/1/2016) | | |
| |