The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Southerntruck, jaycoop, Joe H, WICruiser, 2-Ton, 42465967, Shade Baby), 114 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,129
Posts1,056,362
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7
Ok. I have a 51 chevy. It has a 235 from a 1960 impala in it. When i first built the truck, i had the 1960 generator rebuilt. It has been adequate for my usage. Until now... I decided to replace the rear leaf spring suspension with trailing arms and airbags. I want to be able to use my truck like a truck. But, i find the leaf springs to be way soft for anything heavier than my minibike.

The question i have (finally!) is: will the generator provide enough juice to charge two batteries? I wish to add a deep cycle battery to the starting battery because the air compressor draws 30amps. I figure that because it is sporadic usage a deep cycle battery should even out the total load. Provided I can keep both batteries charged with the generator. I like the appearance of the generator and would not replace it with an alternator.

Thoughts?


Jcrapola

When you are dumb, you have got to be tough!
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,811
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,811
Find a 45 amp capacity generator and regulator for a Cadillac or an Olds 98, and don't bother with a second battery. Unless you're planning to run the air compressor with the engine stopped, there's no point whatsoever in using the deep cycle battery. The only real difference in a deep cycle is the fact it can be repeatedly discharged 75% instead of 25% like a normal battery without damage to the plates. That's important for a trolling motor or a golf cart, but not a vehicle battery.

Use a good-sized reserve tank, like a 30-lb. Freon tank with a one-way check valve, to give the compressor a little break.

Trailing arms and air bags will be a HUGE mistake, BTW. Add more leaves to the regular springs.
Jerry



"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7
Huge mistake? Oh boy... I already done it..

Had a late sixties truck with factory trailing arms and airbags instead of springs. Loved it! Rode nice, handled well and was easily adjustable for height and load.


Jcrapola

When you are dumb, you have got to be tough!
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,811
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,811
I hope you changed the rear axle housing and torque tube in the process!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
You can pretty much eliminate air usage if you manually adjust pressure to suit load only as needed.

If you do want a leveling valve choose one with a delay, so it takes an average and uses less air than one that adjust air pressure for every pot hole and bottle cap in the road.

I think you'd be fine with one battery so long as the compressor does not run with the engine off.

If you must have two batteries normal practice it to use two identical size and age in parallel. Unless they're somehow isolated from each other.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7
Jerry: Yeah, I dumped the torque tube in the beginning. Never seemed like a good idea from the beginning. I had to add a panhard bar at the same time to eliminate the "sway" in the rear end.

Grigg: Thanks! Manual leveling for certain.
I got the isolator wiring all figured out, I just not sure if the generator is up to the task..


Jcrapola

When you are dumb, you have got to be tough!
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
I like the looks of a generator, but hate the finicky voltage regulator. I went with an alternator and painted it black. Blends in pretty good.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7
Well that's a clever solution... Can you send me a pic?

I have about 10,000 miles on the truck since last time a took it apart. I havent had any issues with the way it runs at all. Mebbe I have just been lucky.Took it for a 100 mile drive with my buddy a couple summers ago. He commented "runs like a watch!"


Jcrapola

When you are dumb, you have got to be tough!
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
I generally don't try to fix what ain't broke. Try what you have until it stops "ticking".
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7
I can understand that philosophy. But, i have never been able to adhere to it. I suppose i am a serial tinkerer.


Jcrapola

When you are dumb, you have got to be tough!

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0