The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ponchogl, WICruiser, 50Chevy3100, BC59, 1 invisible), 125 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,090
Posts1,056,345
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1144885 01/16/2016 1:26 AM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 22
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 22
I have a 66 half ton 3 speed. Got an SM465 from a 68 that I want to install. Has anyone done this ? I have the 68 bellhousing. The driveshaft is the problem. Can I have the 3 speed driveshaft modified to work ? A different yoke and lengthened ? Thanks.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
A driveshaft shop can make anything you need. Either modify or new... or You could possibly find a donor. Never had one lengthened but have had them shortened. I'm guessing they would advise at least a new tube instead of adding a section.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 22
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 22
I was wondering if it would be easy for a driveline shop. I will go that route. Thanks.

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Driveshafts are not lengthened, new tubes must be installed, they are shortened all the time.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
You will need the bell housing that matches the 465. It has a larger center hole.
A good drive shaft shop can match up the driveshaft.
Are you in the K.C. area?


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 22
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 22
Wrenchbender I am in the KC area. I have the proper Sm465 bell housing so that is OK. The sm465 is about 4 inches shorter than the 3 speed and the yoke needs to change from a splined end to a ujoint end. Can you recommend a driveline shop ?

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Yes. North Manufactory. It is a mom & pop operation. 816 333-8505
He has an interesting business. When an overtheroad truck comes through town & has driveshaft problems, the truck stops all refer him to North. He goes out day-night-weekends, pulls the drive shaft & takes it to the shop, rebuilds it & takes it back. It saves the trucker days of downtime & tow bills.
Most of the guys around here that do T-5 conversions use him to modify their drive shafts.
George


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 22
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 22
Thank you George. I will call him tomorrow. He sounds like the kind of guy that can handle about anything. If the big rig guys trust him he is gold. I saw your truck years ago George and it is very nicely done. I live 4 miles west of Lenexa.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0