The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Bill Hanlon, Hanks custodian, 3800GUY, Ponchogl), 72 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,580
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 21
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 21
Hey all. I'm sure you get ridiculously tired of these swap questions, but I figure if this is the place to ask them then nobody can get too annoyed :-)

I have a '58 1 ton dually, which is apparently a beast of beasts with its 5-something gear ratio. Powertrain is a built '85 350 with a 700r4. Problem is, I want to have my cake and eat it too: 4x4, disc brakes. Sounds strange maybe, but I don't really care about power steering; if I get it I get it, if not oh well.

So, I've been looking at doing a 3/4 or 1 ton S or DRW chassis swap with a kit. But, I don't necessarily want to lose that rearend...or do I? Can I keep my frame and rearend and just swap the front axle and change the gears (either front or rear) to match? Would the front be too wide and look funny with the stock rear? Or...should I just swap both front and rear axles?

I'm also more fond of manual transmissions, so I may swap for a 4 speed- if that changes your recommendations.

Last edited by TonofFun; 01/10/2016 5:58 PM.

1958 Chevy Apache 3800
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/22856/Just_bought_a_58_Chevy_1_Ton_D.html

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/282889/

Decide what your vision is first. Hauler, mud bogger, hot rod, work truck, restomod....... Frankendually.
The guru's here can make tons of recommendations for parts if we know what you want to do specifically.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 21
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 21
Well, I want to be able to pull a camper or a trailer...basically I want it to be able to work, but I want some pick-up too and the ability to navigate a few snowy roads a few times a year. It's as simple as that, though I do like the aggressive look of the wide front end that the newer front ends offer. I don't need a bogger or frankendually, just a functional daily-driving dually that can get around on the backroads and the interstate without completely killing me on fuel and pull a load now and then...without getting stuck when I need it most! 70% functional, 30% rockstar.

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/8324197+re0+ar0+st0/0705tr_18_z%2B1958_chevy_apache%2Bhood_open_5.jpg

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3483/3001/33706500001_large.jpg

http://bangshift.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/truck1.jpg

Last edited by TonofFun; 01/11/2016 12:56 AM.

1958 Chevy Apache 3800
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
What do you have exactly? What are the pics for? I know what a 58 1/2T and 3/4T 4x4 pickup looks like. Pics of yours would help. Flatbed? Stakebed? Fab'ed dually? Don't know what "S or DRW" means. I understand what you want but do you want to do this keeping semi-era correct stuff or modern?
Do you have a Apache 38? This one has the 4sp with compound low. You can put that tranny in easily. Adding 4X4 to one like this

would take a Napco donor (Apache 36) or possibly a military front axle and Xfer case. If you want modern drive train, Can't recommend swapping your body to a donor 4X4 chassis or adding above drivetrain until I know what you have and whether you're going old school or new school. (yellow pages or Google)
As far as what rear end...you have to match front and rear ratios, so that will be your determinator.
You will get some great experts by posting in "Big Bolts" section. This is probably the wrong section and I am definately the wrong guy.
Good luck over there, I'll watch and learn.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Bartamos,

I assume he means S = Single Rear Wheel

DRW = Dual Rear Wheel

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
OMG OK 10-4
(thanks Mike) smile


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 21
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 21
Bartamos,

Just as I mentioned in the OP, I have a dually 1 ton. The Apache 3800. Right now it does not have a bed. I'm sure you know what those trucks look like, but you asked what I wanted so I posted some pictures of trucks I've seen that I like. I've created a photo bucket account if you want to see my truck.

http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/JimPhillips7/media/unnamed_zpsusvchhjj.jpg.html
http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/JimPhillips7/media/unnamed-1_zpsotg2ctbd.jpg.html

I want it to be 3/4 or 1 ton, 4x4 with disc brakes, haul a load, pull a camper or 5th wheel, get through the occasional snow fall and navigate the occasional Forest Service road. The question is whether or not to: switch chassis, or just front axle, or just front and rear axles and use stock frame. I love the truck as it sits now, I just want a couple more bells and whistles, i.e. a little more versatility.

Last edited by TonofFun; 01/11/2016 2:23 PM.

1958 Chevy Apache 3800
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 273
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 273
Sweet truck.

Larry W.


1953 3800 Dually Flatbed
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Well there is no problem hauling a load, no problem pulling a camper. Your plus is you have a great cab. You don't need a dually. It is a deficit, The large chassis is a deficit just to go in snow or on dirt Forest service roads, haul and pull with a 350. If you get stuck, NO ONE will be able to pull you out. Option 1: Put your cab on a Napco Apache 36 chassis and add an aftermarket disc brake kit. A big 1T dually is not for forest roads and will damage the road when wet. If the camper is not too big, a 350 will do it. A 454 or larger would be nice. Option 2: If you are not in love with this truck or it's not a family truck, sell it and buy a 3/4 4X4. Putting cabs on chassis that are not the same era is difficult. Adding 4x4 axle and transfer case is not easy. This all depends on if you live in a area where there are plenty of reasonably priced donors. An Apache 36 4X4 is not usually easy to find, but nothing else will be either. I would NOT try to turn a big dually into a hunting truck/trail buggy/heavy load hauler/5th wheel puller/daily driver/Rockstar chick magnet. The usages are too far apart.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 21
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 21
Originally Posted by bartamos
I would NOT try to turn a big dually into a hunting truck/trail buggy/heavy load hauler/5th wheel puller/daily driver/Rockstar chick magnet. The usages are too far apart.

Thank you for your help, but I never said any of those things except 'rockstar', and even that was more of a joke because the truck already IS one. I'm 35 years old, I've got my chick and I don't hunt. Sure, I'd like to be able to haul a load but that's not too much of a stretch is it? Putting a cab on a 73-87 is not insanely difficult either, it just takes a kit, a few extra parts, elbow grease and time...with a few headaches thrown in for the unforeseeables. Your 'advice' comes off as more of an attack than it does savvy know-how. I need technical advice on which option works best mechanically. I do appreciate the fact that what I need the truck to do is important to the conversation and I think I've been pretty clear on what is a 'need' and what is a 'want'. Any vehicle will have its limits, I'm just looking for the best setup because I only want to do this once.

And for the record, they haul track hoes up forest service roads to cut firebreaks, so a dually can do just fine. I certainly wouldn't be making it a habit.


1958 Chevy Apache 3800
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bartamos, you're beating a dead horse. Clash of personalities and I see nothing good coming from continued banter back and forth between you two.

TonofFun, sounds like you have a plan in mind. It's been done before so when/if you get started ask the questions in the appropriate sub-forum and I'm sure you will get the answers you need. Good luck with your build.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Martin: Agreed , my thoughts come off as negative if they do not match with someone's ideas. My humor is only realized by a few. My apologies for getting involved too much. No one else was responding so I gave it my honest opinion from what I could glean. It's a nice truck.
I said go to "Big Bolts", should have said "Tons'O Fun".


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 21
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 21
Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
It's been done before so when/if you get started ask the questions in the appropriate sub-forum and I'm sure you will get the answers you need. Good luck with your build.

According to the forum descriptions, I was under the impression that The HiPo Shop was the correct subforum for custom builds and mods. Essentially, Big Bolts is too big, and TonsofFun (the reason I changed my user name) is for general knowledge and specifics about a certain era; that's the way I read it anyway. I will try asking there, though, thank you.

I do apologize that I was curt. Questions about my build and performance requirements are welcomed if they lead to good answers, but I don't appreciate being patronized and I got irritated. No harm done.


Last edited by BlueCheese; 01/13/2016 1:35 PM.

1958 Chevy Apache 3800
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Not trying to patronize you at all, just offering ways to get the answers you seek. Although the HiPo forum is a good start for "Modified" trucks, you may find more specific answers in the Engine forum for your motor questions or the Driveline forum for things like suspension or tranny work. A lot of forums to go through but that is what makes this site so unique. As you said "No harm done", so jump in the pool and have some fun.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)


Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0