| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,175 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 36 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 36 | I'm starting to put my daughter's 1959 3100 back together and all of the pictures I took before disassembly show that the front leaf springs are mounted with the 2 leaf spring rebound clips forward of the axle and the single rebound clip aft of the axle. The assembly manual shows just the opposite. Swapping the ends of the leaf springs makes about a 1" difference in axle position (the assembly manual pic would move the axle aft 1 inch). What are the ramifications of this? Has anyone ever run into this?
Thanks, Chuck | | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 226 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2007 Posts: 226 | Chuck, since the eye bushings are threaded in the front of the front springs and smooth in the rear, that should help you decide where they go unless...the bushings were changed during your restoration or a previous owner changed them. I have an original set of springs from my 57 that I will check for the clip orientation once I get out to the shop later, but there's only one way to install the springs if the bushings are installed correctly.
Larry | | | | | Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 36 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 36 | Thanks for the reply- I changed the bushings myself to match the pictures I had pre-disassembly....... | | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 226 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2007 Posts: 226 | I haven't gotten out to the shop so it will be tomorrow morning. Are your photos digital or film? If film, could they have been printed reversed? I will verify with my actual springs, but I think the manual shows the correct orientation of the clips. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 36 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 36 | | | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 226 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2007 Posts: 226 | Hi Chuck. My stock springs have two clips in front of the axle. The restoration packet that I have shows the same so I think that pic in the assembly manual is just a generic drawing. I hope this helps.
Larry | | | | | Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 36 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 36 | Thanks Larry- it sure does. Considering the pain involved with a re-do, I had already installed the axle on the springs the way they were in my pics. Your confirmation takes a load off of my mind- I really appreciate it!
Chuck | | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 226 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2007 Posts: 226 | Glad to help. If you don't have the restoration packet, you can look at it online or even download it there. They will also mail you a hard copy. There's a link somewhere on this forum or you can google Chevrolet restoration packet. It has helped me several times with specifications that I couldn't find anywhere else.
Larry | | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 5,074 Authorized Pest | | Authorized Pest Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 5,074 | The information about the GM Heritage Center is in this Tech Tip link. This Tech Tip was updated in March 2014 and I know from having checked in at the HC several times since then, there is even more stuff. As we mentioned in the tip, we think GM realized that old restorers were not going away. Or maybe like so many  it took them awhile to get around to it. There is a lot to find on that site. Peg
~ Peggy M 1949 Chevrolet 3804"Charlie" - The Stovebolt FlagshipIn the Gallery"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill | | | | | Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 36 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 36 | Peggy- what a great site! Thanks for the tip. BTW - left the springs the way I found 'em and mounted the axle- I'll let you know how it turns out! | | |
| |
| |