The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hanks custodian, Bisbee, Eileen, Bill Hanlon), 125 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,439
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1142625 01/03/2016 3:05 AM
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
I just received new "replacement" style wipers from LMC truck for my '53 3100. Most things I have got from there haven't been too bad, but the way these blades mount to the arms is absolutely Mickey-mouse. They are gonna flop all around and fly off by the looks of things, unless I'm missing a connector or something. Can anyone enlighten me here?

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
Does your truck have the original wiper arm linkage/knurled attachment lugs?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/8129370484/in/album-72157631868452754/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/8129474981/in/album-72157631868452754/
The pictured tool and instructions discuss the clip arrangement and removal.
If so the corresponding Trico wiper arms slide on to these and lock with a small clip (on the wiper arm). It is my experience that this OEM arrangement is a pretty secure system, first time removal is what I base this on.
Do the replacement arms tighten in this manner or with some sort of set screw? If they are set screw type before you damage the arms I would see what others may reply with, my experience with them is they may be more problematic over time. Set screw types will destroy the original fine knurled area, if this happens original arms will no longer work.

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
The replacement arms have splines that fit over the original splined stub shaft, and there is a spring loaded tab that clips against the stub th hold the arm in place. However, that isn't my issue at this point. The issue is how the wiper arm mounts to the wiper blade assembly. It is VERY wobbley and doesn't clip together worth a $£|¥! I can tell this setup won't make it long before the wiper blades go flying off. Wiper blades should only pivot in one axis on a wiper arm. They shouldn't be allowed to wobble like they're mounted on a pivot ball. As far as I'm concerned this setup is garbage, and they weren't cheap. $15 per blade and $15 per arm, plus tax and shipping makes for a pricy pile of junk.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
Without a picture I can't say what the comparison is to OEM but it may be worth noting these are very rudimentary wiper systems.

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
It's true that modern wiper blades are designed to mount solidly to the arm and all of the blade flex is achieved by the articulated blade frame.
The blade you have (stock style) is a straight piece of steel with a little rubber lip on the bottom.
All of the laying over and other flexing has to be achieved by the whole blade moving, that's why it just hooks loosely (but securely) to the arm.

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
This isn't a stock style wiper. LMC has two types listed, original and replacement style. The originals are stock style, and their "replacement" wipers are a modern style replacement for the original style. The ones I got (replacement style) are modern style that incorporate a tiered bridge system like most of today's wipers. Does anyone out there have experience with these wipers like I have from LMC?

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
I searched this subject on here and got some numbers for new arms and blades from NAPA. the part numbers must be outdated, the guys at NAPA couldn't do anything for me. So, I fired up some equipment and made my own tiny pivot brackets and welded them to the arms and the blade structure. They should be structurally sound now, but when I eventually need new wipers I'll need to make a couple more brackets.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0