The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,093
Posts1,056,474
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 21
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 21
I got a 49 gmc one ton truck with a 9 ft bed. I want to switch my ring gear so I can actually drive the truck. Any suggestions?

Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 614
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 614
Dan,
In the tech tip's, there is a very well written article to answer your question. Also, Grigg is actually documenting his project on his 1-ton in the project journals, and walk's you through it. A must read. I have done the pinion upgrade on my 1-ton as well, and it's a wonderful thing. Easy also. The hardest part is finding the donor carrier section. Good luck!


~ Jim Schmidt, Bucks County, PA
1953 Chevrolet 3804 1-ton
In the DITY Gallery
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 273
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 273
Dan,

Check this topic. Then make sure to send me a PM so I can add you to my list of people who want them.

https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread...36052/HO52/72_4.10_swap.html#Post1136052


I have been hooking up people with swaps, including the ones you'll see in Grigg's article, so your old one may be desireable to someone else. Also I am waiting for an answer from someone who says he has a cache of 4.10's that would only be for sale, no trades.

The other option is to find a cab and chassis GM 14 bolt and swap the whole thing. Grigg can point you in the right direction on that. I learned of it from him in the first place. I will be going that route also.

Larry W.


1953 3800 Dually Flatbed
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
4.10s are very scarce. If you run the stock 17" tires, a 4.56 out of a 3/4 ton will do pretty good. And they are every where.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0