Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
3 members (TUTS 59, JW51, Jon G),
114
guests, and
4
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,095 Posts1,056,480 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | Does anyone have a nice reliable picture of exactly where the original Defroster Decal went on the body of the Harrison Deluxe Heater (47-55)? Thanks! Once I know, I can update my own Heater article! | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Not exactly which decal you are talking about Deve. There are no decals on this heater which as far as I know was installed at the time of purchase or very close to it. http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/harrison_h-02-47 Denny G
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | You do have the heaters mixed up. The Recirculating Heater (and defroster) was supposedly the same for all Advance-Design years. There was no defroster manual "control arm" on the "Air-Flow"/"Fresh Air" (de luxe) heaters until 1953-55. The earlier Advance-Design "Air-Flow"/"Fresh Air" heaters had a cable-controlled defroster "arm". What type/style of heater and year of heater are you referring-to, Deve? The decal you show has different defrost labels for different types of heaters, recirculating and "deluxe". 1947-1955st GM truck heater decals | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | It's just that on the same decal sheet they refer to recirculating heaters and fresh air heaters. I guess the Harrison Deluxe Heater isn't one of those two. I have a 1953 with an extended arm with knob and a 1947 one. They are fully restored with silver gray hammerite and ready to be boxed up until later. Just wanted to put everything as it should be. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | One/all of them might be a/the Harrison Deluxe Heater referred-to on the sheet - can you post links to photos of the heaters you are referring to?
The terms "Deluxe" "Air Flow" "Fresh Air" were sometimes used to describe the same heater in the same year. GM and its artists and "documenters" were inconsistent and "duplicitous". Heater names used in various A-D years have been listed/posted in the past.
Also, it is common that wrong year heaters were put in trucks (and non-Chevrolet truck Harrison heaters were put in trucks).
Post pictures and we can "get on the same page" and get helpful. Otherwise, meander on . . . | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | It's not rocket science Tim. Its the same ones Denny pictured earlier. There were two kinds for each year. Its the verbage that has me confused. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | Show a photo for each heater YOU are referring to.
Otherwise, meander on . . . | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | Well, since I am not known for meandering, I got what I needed from Brad Allen. If you have a 1947-1952 Harrison Deluxe Heater, they did not come with a decal for the defroster. Great confirmation. Thanks and I think we are done here.  | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | Except if someone else finds this thread later looking to answer the same questions are the answers here? | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Since the Deluxe heater had a cable for the defroster, there was no need to label it on the housing. The recirculating heater had no cable so they labeled the swing lever on the housing. Here's a pix of one of our bolters restoration, think it might be Brads garage: http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/149025181You can't always count on what the vendors are selling as gospel. They are often as confused as we are, but need to put a product on the shelf to satisfy the masses. dg
Last edited by Denny Graham; 12/18/2015 1:10 PM.
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | . . . If you have a 1947-1952 Harrison Deluxe Heater, they did not come with a decal for the defroster. . . Thanks and I think we are done here.  Except if someone else finds this thread later looking to answer the same questions are the answers here? For some readers, there might still be confusion with terms/statement above: "If you have a 1947-1952 Harrison Deluxe Heater, they did not come with a decal for the defroster." There was indeed a decal for the DEFROSTER, but, it was not on the Heater's body, because the defroster was controlled by a cable. The 1947-52 DEFROSTER decal was on the Heater's under-dash bracket for the defroster lever's controller-cable: see middle-left decal on this sheet. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | Thank, Denny, our clarifications crossed paths. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Were those decals part of the Deluxe Heater accessory package Tim? And was there a mention of them in the packaged instructions? I'll have to take a look in the books to see if they instruct you to place the decal near the pull knob. dg
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | The problem is the 1953 Harrison Deluxe Heater. It is not controlled by a cable (for Defrost). The 47-52 were controlled by the cable. (which is hard to find and on backorder for the past year).
I had a Fresh Air Heater in the shop last night helping a friend and it does have the decal, so in 1953, 54, and 55 the Harrison Deluxe had a control arm on the heater. So that is one of the questions unanswered so far.
The small decal that goes on the mounting bracket is something I haven't gotten to yet. Mostly concerned with what goes on the body.
Last edited by Deve; 12/18/2015 3:10 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | Were those decals part of the Deluxe Heater accessory package Tim? And was there a mention of them in the packaged instructions? I'll have to take a look in the books to see if they instruct you to place the decal near the pull knob. dg Denny, I think I do not understand your question - sorry. "Deluxe Heater accessory package " "in the packaged instructions" My guess is the decals were applied when the heaters were assembled at the factory. My assumption is the decals were on the accessory heaters when you bought a heater from GM. That decal sheet in this thread is the non-GM-made after-market 1947-55 heater decal sheet sold by reproduction parts vendors, such as Classic Parts . I have never seen a factory document that shows where the decals go on the Heater parts. I assume you are referring to instructions/illustrations for placement of decals, as shown in the Factory Assembly Manual for a few other decals, such as the 1954 engine valve cover decal? I'll have a primitive webpage ready soon - with pictures of heaters. Unfortunately, the Internet-found pictures are mostly of "restored" heaters that might not have a decal, or might have a decal in the wrong location. I'll post a link to the page soon I'll take it down if it just adds to the confusion.
Last edited by tclederman; 12/18/2015 4:50 PM. Reason: added link to web page
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | Deve,
If you are interested in what goes where on the 53-55 "deluxe" heater, here are general locations:
1953-1955st Fresh-Air “deluxe” heater’s decal for inside/outside air - middle right decal on the decal sheet - goes on the plate for the inside/outside-air control knob/cable mounted under the dash to the left of the steering column
1953-1955st Fresh-Air “deluxe” heater’s DEFROSTER decal - bottom decal on the decal sheet - goes on the heater-body, under the post on the defrost flap
By the way, using the word "Harrison" to describe the heater might confuse some some readers. I do not think that GM used the word "Harrison" in sales brochures, or parts/accessory lists. All GM heaters were made GMs' Harrison division. It might be clearer to refer to a heater by the year/years and by the name "recirculating" or "deluxe"? | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | LUKE,
I think you are correct.
There was/is no need for a label for the defroster to be on the 47/48 "deluxe" heater box, because the defroster-flap on the box was/is controlled by a cable/knob mounted under the dash to the left of the steering column. For that type heater, the defroster label was on the bracket for the cable/knob mounted under the dash to the left of the steering column.
A "defroster" label ON any GM heater box was only needed/used when the defroster flap ON the heater box was operated/selected by a human hand moving the defroster lever/flap ON the heater box.
I hope this does not cause further confusion. Good luck. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 800 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 800 | Makes sense to me; thanks for the clarification. There is always some new minor detail to be learned by hanging around this "on-line" garage--greatly appreciated! I am going to remove the label from my heater body. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | Very nice Tim! Glad it's not left to me to do everything! Now, MEANDER ON! LOL! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | Deve (or, anyone),
Do you have a photo of the 47-52 "deluxe" defrost cable bracket (with DEFROSTER on it)?
Thanks, | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | I might have one. I'll look tomorrow when I am at the shop if someone else doesn't chime in before. That would be a good addition for exact placement. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 800 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 800 | Here is an observation with a question:
Tim has a link to the decals web page in a previous post. The parts look to be NOS parts. They include an "Air" switch, bracket with DEFROSTER label, the pull handle with cable, and the heater control valve rod and knob.
That labeled DEFROSTER bracket appears to have a "hammered" paint finish (to match the hammered heater body?). If this is correct, did the heaters that were painted silver come with a DEFROSTER bracket that was a "hammered" silver paint finish? | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | fonz8261,
Please post the link that you are referring to.
I have no knowledge of the different paint colors and the years they were used (and, if there were differences between Chevrolet & GMC).
I had a hard time finding photos of examples of the different heaters/controls that had used the correct labels.
Also, GM might have used AIR (outside AIR, for 53-55 outside AIR control) instead of PULL TO CIRCULATE in some 53-55 years (or, maybe, there was a difference on GMCs).
If anyone has photos of any examples, please post the links or email/PM links/photos to me.
Thanks | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 800 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 800 | | | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 378 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 378 | My heater decal or metal plate looks just like Denny Graham. It is a picture on Photobucket. I don't know how to put the link on this page. Hope this helps. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | That switch looks like it could handle the amperage better than our stock Chevy toggle switches. Wish I could see the back of it. The switch just acts as a switch on High setting, but on medium and low those resistors and heat sinks are really tasked hard. Makes good ones hard to find. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 293 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 293 | Tim "You can see it might have had a decal above the knob? I think I have one knob like that in my collection. (but, no attachment plate)"
Hi Tim, I did clean up the plastic face plate on this switch. I'm looking for a way to rebuild the porcelain covering on the back spring which I assume is the heat sink. Because my heater motor was seized when I bought the truck I did try the switch after I cleaned it up by hooking up direct to my 6 volt battery and had current flow in both fast and slow positions, also the small 6 volt bulb located inside the white knob does work albeit very dim. Doyle | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | Thank you for that! It appears GMC had the same problem as Chevy with it getting too hot, but at least yours has a nice ceramic heat sink. Ours has no heat sink except inside the resistor which doesn't count. It looks like yours could still be in good condition. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | Doyle, Your heater looks like the reciculating heater in this 1954 GMC document. The 1954 GMC recirculating heater has a different defroster-flap handle and decal/plate than yours (I have one that I think is original - the plate was missing, I think). | | |
| |