The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (walter74, Jay R, 52Carl, Wally / Montana, Hotrod Lincoln, 78buckshot), 122 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,417
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#113955 02/07/2004 6:38 AM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 331
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 331
Having trouble deciding what color to paint my 46 chev. I really like forest green but it really seam's to show the dirt. Been looking through the gallery And dark red suite's this year of truck too. How does the red stand up to dirt and what would be your choice of color. Any responces to help me decide would be appreciated because I am can't make up my mind. Thanks: Stuart

#113956 02/07/2004 5:30 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
My first choice unless it is a horrible color is to keep it original. Especially if the firewall still looks good. Otherwise just pick what you like. Red paint is more expensive. Lighter colors need better body work. Dark colors get hot in the summer. Resale red makes a truck easier to sell.

Just look around and see what you like best. At some car shows last year everything was orange, yuck.


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
#113957 02/08/2004 5:52 AM
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 86
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 86
Here is a ! good color

#113958 02/08/2004 5:30 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
I was going to paint my '50 Forester Green also, but the more I look at ad's pics, the more I'm considering the same color since it was the original color of my truck. Very different to say the least. There are so many dark greens around this area, this color would stand out.

AD,
Is this sea foam green? If we meet later this month, I'm going to bring a piece of my firewall (circular heater plate cover) which I have buffed out. It will be interesting to see how close they match.

cheers


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
#113959 02/08/2004 5:49 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
Craig, that color green would look great with a light oak bed.


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
#113960 02/08/2004 6:26 PM
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 86
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 86
Craig, the color of my truck is "Ocean Green".

Ron

#113961 02/09/2004 2:28 AM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 331
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 331
Thanks for the tips Guys. The truck was origanaly light green. I myself am not to keen on the lighter colors And I finnally have decided to go dark forest green with a light metal flake. I am also going to paint the interior the same color. Everything but the cab and doors were hot dipped, derusted,sanded and then phosphtate dipped. Just primed the parts today and will be stripping the cab within the next couple of weeks. Anbody recommend a good paint stripper.
http://www.stovebolt.com/gallery/watts_stuart_1946_01.htm

As you can see the truck is not on its origanal frame. This truck is going to be a daily driver. I own a 40 GMC that I am restoring to original

#113962 02/09/2004 2:34 AM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 331
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 331
Ron, That ocean green does look really nice. It has a real nice gloss to it. Did you already clear coat it ?

#113963 02/09/2004 2:36 AM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 331
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 331
Ron, That ocean green does look really nice. It has a real nice gloss to it. Did you already clear coat it ?

#113964 02/09/2004 6:20 AM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
My panel is going back to its original two-tone brown/tan, as seen in this postcard: GMC panel postcard.

About a year ago I caught a few minutes of a 70's cowboy movie which had a '54-'55.1 GMC Deluxe pickup with this same paint scheme, and I loved the look. Plus, there can't be too many out there like it! grin


Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE
#113965 02/09/2004 5:32 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
AD-Notice the color of this smiley face? grin


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
#113966 02/09/2004 8:07 PM
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 86
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 86
Stuart 989, that is three coats of paint with clear mixed wth the third coat.

cmayna, saw the color of the smiley!

#113967 02/09/2004 8:49 PM
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 86
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 86
cmayna, at "American Classic Truck Pats Inc." ( Go Here ) The greens that were available in 1950 (that is the year of your truck, isn't it?)were Forster Green, Seacrest Green, Mist Green, Crystal Green and Mist Green/Crystal Green (was this a two tone or was it a mixture of both?).

If yours is orginial color, it is probably "Seacrest"

#113968 02/09/2004 10:29 PM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
I believe that Mist Green and Crystal Green were both car colors, not truck colors.


Jeff Nelson

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
#113969 02/09/2004 10:45 PM
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 86
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 86
Quote
I believe that Mist Green and Crystal Green were both car colors, not truck colors.
I agree with you, I was quoteing the GMC greens in 1950.

#113970 02/09/2004 10:53 PM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
I forgot to post a good link that I believe has been posted before.

1951-1954 Commercial Colors (Chevy)

Note that not all colors were available in all years. Need to go to your year's resto pack to see the actual colors for your year.


Jeff Nelson

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
#113971 02/10/2004 4:46 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
AD,
Hopefully this shot of the engine showing the firewall color helps clarify what color that is. Any idea?

http://community.webshots.com/photo/114973298/117501443NRyboP

Is there a stamping on the trucks showing what was the original color. This would be way too easy.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
#113972 02/10/2004 5:39 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
You kno guys, I wuz thinkin, mebe you could paint yer truck like this bike I used to have. I decided to 'take it up a notch' and make fun of the Harley 'life stylers' where I used to live.

Get ready to laugh - one of my favorite stupid paint jobs....

#113973 02/10/2004 7:16 PM
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 86
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 86
Cmayna, that looks like a somewhat faded ocean green to me. Bring that heater plate with you and we can match the two colors.

I don't know of any stamping for the orginial color.

#113974 02/10/2004 7:31 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
Irwin,
Let me sleep on your color suggestion...... wink


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
#113975 02/11/2004 1:22 AM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
Craig
You sure your truck was ocean green originally? I believe that color was not available until 1953. If you have a 1950 restoration packet that will tell you for sure. I also agree there is no stamping on body or frame that tells original color.

#113976 02/11/2004 3:33 AM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
No, I'm not certain my color is infact ocean green but it's pretty similar. Yes according to my resto kit packet from Chevrolet, there were only 3 greens offered for '50 Forester Green, Seacrest Green & Mist (Crystal) Green. My gut feeling is saying it's Seacrest.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0