| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
136
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,110 Posts1,056,241 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 40 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 40 | I am trying to build a gas tank for my '38 , My girlfriend won't ride in it with the slight smell of gas in the cab . Using the last issue of Streetrodder as an insperation ( they had an article on hammer forming ends for a gas tank ) I drove right in and I am pretty proud of the way it turned out unil I tested it with a little water and it leaks like a you know what ! Of course the guy in the article used a tig welder and I am using a mig . Does anyone know of a sealer that I can put in the tank and swirl around and seal the seepy seams ? I used something like this once on my harley tanks but they want $34.00 for a kit that will do a 3 galon tank - my tank should hold 19 gallons ! | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,216 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,216 | When I built my tank it had a few small leaks as well. I used air pressure (15psi) to test it. With air pressure in the tank run water over the out side, circle each air leak till you find them all. Go back and reweld the leak and keep checking till it holds air. The sealer are good for old rusty tanks, it might not get a good grip on the new metal. Eastwood has a sealer kit if you are really interested in them. Joe | | | | | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | Congratulations on making your own tank. That is a big accomplishment! As you now know MIG is not the best for the seams, even for a good weldor. My advise would be to go over your welds with a gas or TIG welder and skip the goop. I do not thing it would cost much, probaly less than the tank sealer. It would be the right way to do it. | | | | | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | I think the real solution here is to get a new girlfriend who can tolerate the finer aromas associated with old trucks. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 | My wife likes the smell of raw gasoline. Exhaust, however, makes her glare at me.
Paint & Body Shop moderator A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I guess the big question is whether your girlfriend smokes! Seriously though, I read that article and I didn't really beleive it was possible to do, as shown. That is quite amazing. I thought that the last few steps of forming the lip would have split the metal. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 40 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 40 | well, I finally got it welded up enough it dont seep anymore , but MAN is it ugly ! The guy in the article heliarc welded it they say but it doesnt show the finished job on it either . I think I am gonna weld a couple of nuts on 4 corners and then I can screw a sheet metal cover over the tank and (not weld any on the cover) then I can paint the cover up nice and slick and not worry about making the tank itself nice .Maybe I can find some stainless !!! | | |
| |
| |