Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,094 Posts1,056,487 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 566 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 566 | Well I found a part in my steering wheel parts box and not sure what is was. I was told by a couple of folks it was a oil slinger that had two functions. First one was to keep the seal on the timing gear cover from being directly hit by oil and damaging it. The second function to sling oil on the gears. I was somewhat confused because on how it was mounted because I was told it went on after the crank gear and the harmonic balancer kept to from touching the toming gear cover. Now I do not remember installing it. Any advise should I wait till the seal leaks and when I replace the seal install it? Can someone verify this info is true? thing 1 thing 2 Can someone name this part?
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my sweet ride." -Amen 56 Chevy 3100 | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | The GM parts book only shows the slinger/thrower used up to 1938. Group 0.647
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | Oil slinger is the correct name for it. It is there to keep excess oil away from the seal. I think I would run it awhile & see what happens. Unless you need something to do & pull the seal back out. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 566 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 566 | I had 3 motors a 1955 and a 1958 to 1960 can not remember the correct date i used for parts and my 1956. So i do not remember where it came from. At least i know what it is thank you.
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my sweet ride." -Amen 56 Chevy 3100 | | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 566 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 566 | Lol i gots plenty to do besides if i do pull it i will this time fix those 2 little bolts in the oil pan that hokds the timing gear cover and that cool contraption to drill out the snout on the crank gear. I was rushing and it was my first build i guess i should have slowed down and took more pics rookie mistake. If it was going to harm something i guess i would break out the wrenches
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my sweet ride." -Amen 56 Chevy 3100 | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Withdrawn from thread to minimize confusion.
Last edited by Denny Graham; 11/30/2015 9:06 AM.
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,833 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,833 | "Way back when" would have to be before the 216 was introduced. All the 216/235 crankshafts I've seen only have a smooth surface at the back of the crank for the oil seal to ride and the flywheel to mount, no slinger. I believe some of the earlier engines might have had a slinger and a reverse-helix groove to transfer oil back into the crankcase instead of a seal. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | Looks like a front crankshaft oil thrower/slinger to me, they were used from 1930-38. My parts book shown Gp. 0.758 "Crankshaft Oil Thrower", 1937/38...ALL...(1-1/4 ID x 3-1/4 OD x 7/16 width)...p/n 838265. Mike B  | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Withdrawn from thread to minimize confusion.
Last edited by Denny Graham; 11/30/2015 9:06 AM.
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | My 1951 book has it... Mike B  | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | 1954 parts book is the last year I see them listed for a 6 cyl. Bottom of page. 1940 was the first year for a rear seal, before that the crank had a oil slinger as part of the crank at the rear.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Withdrawn from thread to minimize confusion.
Last edited by Denny Graham; 11/30/2015 9:07 AM.
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2014 Posts: 385 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2014 Posts: 385 | Took apart my 56 261 a few months ago and it had one. My 55 235 in my truck now does not have one. The first time i saw one was from the 261. See Picture Below. Oil Slinger OIl Slinger 2
Last edited by wolffcub; 11/30/2015 5:46 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | Denny, I'm not sure I understand your question... Mike B  | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | I think Denny is asking why Chev changed the group number 0.758 to 0.648.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | I have not looked in all of my parts books, but it looks like Chev changed the group number at least three times. 1950, 0.758 Part #838265, called "Thrower". 1954, 0.647 same part number and name. 1961, 0.648 but this only lists a V8 and called "Slinger".
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | From what I can tell those two groups never overlapped in any parts books. Maybe once Chevrolet retires a group number it's gone and they don't waste time researching to see if a new part might fit in an abandoned group...just take the next number and run with it. Also, they changed the wording from "Thrower" to "Slinger", so that might be another reason to give it a new group. Mike B  | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | On another note, Chevrolet sold a spacer ("Ring" on package) for 1955 all (second design)Group 0.622, that appears to take the place of the slinger. I have a bag of these, NOS GM 3723794 and can not figure out what Chev was thinking.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | Dave, 0.647 isn't in my 1951 book or in anything newer than 1956 (I have a gap from 51-55). Seems all of the slingers shown in 0.648 are for V8's as mentioned above. Maybe someone deleted 0.758 and got there wrist slapped because Chevrolet still had inventory and they reinstalled it as a new group (grabbing at straws here...lol). So, is there another group that we haven't discovered...why do these 6-cylinder engines have slingers but they don't show up in the parts books??? Mike B  | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | Dave, No 0.622 in any of my books, what year book did you find that group? Mike B  | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | post deleted...duplicate Mike B 
Last edited by Mike B; 11/30/2015 5:31 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | Sorry, it is Group 0.662, in my 1961 book.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | One more thing. I have worked on a lot of 235s and have seldom seen a slinger on them.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | Sorry, it is Group 0.662, in my 1961 book. 0.662, Denny 1/2 of one year (1955 2nd series)? | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | Here is a picture of the spacers. I assume these were used to get the belt in alignment, but I have never seen this in print.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | And what were those for Dave?? Why would the balancer need to be spaced out??
dg
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | Good eye Mike, but I still don't get it's purpose.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | I'm thinking there was an engineering change, they planned on using a Slinger and then changed their minds and needed a spacer until they corrected the issue in '56...just a guess. Mike B  | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Ah ha! When in doubt, read 'all' the instructions! I sure didn't catch that. It's clear that if you didn't use the slinger that you would need to space the damper out to maintain the pulley alignment. But, it's still very sketchy as to what engines the slinger was used on. Seems to be all over the place depending on which parts book you're using.
Why didn't you just throw that darn thing out in the ditch Jamie and we could have avoided all this confusion. dg
Last edited by Denny Graham; 12/01/2015 3:41 AM.
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | Even after all of this research I'm still confused as to wy only 55-2 6-cylinders need this spacer. What's different between 55 and 56 6-cylinders??? If it is to replace the space left by not having a Slinger, why aren't there 6-cylinder Slingers in the book? If Spacer is to take the place of the Slingers and they made corrections in '56 (no spacer needed), why isn't there a different balancer (cast the Balancer longer to eliminate the Spacer)? Or, if they made the changes to the Crankshaft (machined the shoulder longer to put the Balancer in the correct place), why aren't there different Cranks between 55-56? This may be a mystery we can't solve... Mike B  | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | Mike, I have had these shims for years and have not come up with a good explanation. I also have never seen one on an engine.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | Remember, you will only find them in 1955 second engines... Something has to be different...generator belt allignment, timing cover interference...something??? Mike B  | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,833 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,833 | How about the thickness of the crankshaft timing gear? Any difference in part numbers? Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | No help here:
Parts and Accessories Catalog P&A 30 March 1957 gp. 0.728 GEAR---SPROCKET, Crankshaft Timing (Steel) 40-57 ALL 6 cyl (27 teeth----3 1/8 OD) pn. 3835371 53-55 CORV. 6 cyl. (stamped 73) 3836073.
Parts Catalogue No. 651 December 1964 1958-65 / ALL WITH 230 and 235 ENGINE
Parts History Catalog P&A 30H January 1973 USE 03846967 07-65
Parts and Accessories Catalog P&A 31 May 1966 55-66 ALL (6 cyl.) (exc. 292) GEAR, (27 teeth–3 1/8 O.D.–stamped “71”) 3836605 63-65 ALL (292) GEAR, crankshaft (stamped “71”) 3835371 66 ALL (292) GEAR, 37 teeth 3882892
Parts Catalogue No. 691A November 1968 3835371 1967–69/6 CYL
Parts and Accessories Catalog 31 January 1964 63-64 ALL (292) GEAR, crankshaft (stamped “71”) 3835371
Parts and Illustration Catalog 30 March 1958 3835371 Mix w 3836605 3-1-58
Master Parts Catalog April 1950 839259 Use 3835371 4-1-49
Truck Parts Catalog 31S June 1971 40-66 All (6cyl.) (exc. 292) 3836605
Part Number Replacements and Supersessions 80TS-RP September 1979 3835371 replaced w 3836605
Last edited by Denny Graham; 12/01/2015 12:57 PM.
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | Ah, a new stove bolt 6 mystery.
An enigma that has/will engender interesting speculation.
There is no mention (that I can find) of that slinger/shim in the 1955-2nd Series Truck Shop Manual.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 566 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 566 | Why didn't you just throw that darn thing out in the ditch Jamie and we could have avoided all this confusion. dg Well at least you all did not say its apart of the steering column. Since i do have it out i could accidently drop under the work bench. Really guys i am reading this and just amazed of your knowledge plus i am also being amused too. You learn something new everyday especially on a 5o year old motor.
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my sweet ride." -Amen 56 Chevy 3100 | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | That's what keeps one interested in these old heaps of iron Jaime. It is amazing how one little coaster size tin washer can generate four pages of dialog. Just goes to show you how starved for attention some of us are.
dg
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,833 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,833 | Is a whole 1/16" of fore/aft position of the damper really worth all the effort of installing a spacer? A good dose of castor oil will cure the problem that causes that obsession. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | |
| |