The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (klhansen, Otto Skorzeny, KEVINSKI), 87 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,706
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
Some of your guys have said that there are suppliers for hubcap decals. I can't find anyone. Any suggestions???


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
I never seen any. Are the letters raised at all? Good luck on your axle change today. I wish I could come help.


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
Recessed letters.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 86
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 86
Cmayna, Go here for hubcap decals , see all purpose decals.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
Try this. Paint the hubcap color and let it cure. Then tape off the general area of the letters to avoid overspray and spray the lettered area in black.

Now wait a minute or two for it to start setting up and take a rag wet with mineral spirits and carefully go around the letters removing the excess paint from the higher area. This should work pretty darn good.


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
Didn't we already discuss this? Glad someone found them on American Classic. Better price than the joint I was going to refer you to. I guess you decided to go the decal route? Let us know how they hold up.

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
Brian,
I must have had a senior moment when I was in AmericanClassic earlier. Did not spot the decals. Thanks for the tip. I think I'll try using a set in reverse, meaning paint the background first (grey), remove the letters from the decal frame and place the frame over the letters on the cap. Mask off everything else and spray the letters black. If it works then I'll do this on all the caps.

Though I have a '50 these caps came off of my crunched '53. Can't let them go.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
Brian,
Just studied the decals from American Classic. They offer only 8" x 1-1/4" chevrolet decals. Mine are 7-1/2" x 1". Geez maybe I'll just get new chromy caps which fit my year better than painted ones.

At worst case I can try Tony M's idea. Wouldn't cost too much for an attempt.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
Tony M's method might work ok, with the letters recessed, it may come out nice. I wonder why American Classic's are so much wider than the actual letters. Supposedly those decals are for the express purpose of the hub cap lettering. You might call them up and question them on it.

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
Maybe my lettering is different than most? Here's a pic of a NOS cap that I've been storing away which I'd like my other caps to look like once again, of course without so many scratches

http://community.webshots.com/photo/97772002/112401660hhAmGJ


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
That lettering looks the same size as the repro hubcaps. I am willing to bet the decals will fit.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
Those look pretty easy. Tell you what. You help me when I get in trouble doing my TT change and I will paint your hubcaps. Just get me the paint. I got spray equipment etc.


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 20
P
Junior Member
Junior Member
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 20
Cmayna, That hubcap looks just like mine and I used decals I got from Jim Carter (stock DE104). They were less than $2 for each cap. I haven't had any trouble with them staying on except a couple letters peeled up a little and I dabbed a drop of weatherstrip adhesive behind it and it looks good, just not painted like the original.
Here's a pic of the hubcap on my spare(if I can get the link to work). Pete hubcap


Doug Peterson
53 Chevy Pickup
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
Pete,
Your #1 priority is fix your picture so I can drool........


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 793
T
Bondo Artiste
Bondo Artiste
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 793


~ Phillip
1949 GMC Suburban - 10 year project
1952 Pontiac Chieftain Convertible straight 8 hydramatic
1945 GMC half ton truck - Driver- Sold 9-15-25
1946 Chevy COE - SOLD 1-5-26 BUH BYE CHEVY!
1959 GMC Half ton long bed NAPCO
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
Nice caps. Those are decals???
As my son would say: "Bouya Grandma" -thats a good thing.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 20
P
Junior Member
Junior Member
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 20
Sorry about the link. I works when I click on it. Thanks, Phillip, for listing a better link. As I said one time before- I'm much more comfortable with an old truck than a computer!!

Those are decals on the hubcap. I have repro hubcaps on the wheels on the ground but that's an original cap on the spare in the picture. Decals worked on either kind of cap.


Doug Peterson
53 Chevy Pickup
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
argh! Finally got my order from Jim Carter's which must have been shipped by banana boat. Received the grey paint but the decals were not shipped nor back ordered.

Both times I've ordered from this company its been painful. Not real user friendly (my opinion only).


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 793
T
Bondo Artiste
Bondo Artiste
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 793
Same for me Craig, as far as working with Jim Carter's Truck Parts. Almost all that have I meet swear by his Company, but I have had nothing but bad luck. His prices are awesome though.

Try American Classic Truck parts, they are a MAJOR sponser here.

Also try Chevy Duty.

Both have had better service than Jim Carter's, and fast/accurate orders everytime.

No offense to anyone here, no war to start over Jim Carter's Truck parts.


~ Phillip
1949 GMC Suburban - 10 year project
1952 Pontiac Chieftain Convertible straight 8 hydramatic
1945 GMC half ton truck - Driver- Sold 9-15-25
1946 Chevy COE - SOLD 1-5-26 BUH BYE CHEVY!
1959 GMC Half ton long bed NAPCO
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
I agree about Jim Carter, but there are some things he has that no one else has, like spanish grain maroon seat cover kits. Was not exactly cheap, but very good quality. So I utilize him at times. But American Classic has good service. But I have trouble finding items I am looking for on their website. I was not aware they carried those decals, and I thought I had perused the entire list.

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
Another interesting twist to the decal saga. A package was sitting on my porch when I got home yesterday. Yes, decals from JC, but only 1 hubcap decal whereas I ordered 6 (yet invoice say's just one). This is becoming comical grin

Anyhoo, Now that I have a decal I see that the mfg never intended for someone to remove the letters and use the background as a painting template for the letters are spaced too far apart. The overall word is about 3/4" too long.

Geez, maybe I should go into the decal business.

Pete,
Love your truck.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0