The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Roy Rodgers, Oswald, Brian Moore), 124 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11352 12/08/2001 1:56 AM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
I was reading the message boards about
roller bearings for 3/4 ton '55.
Was wondering if anyone as changed '53
1/2 ton pickup to roller bearings? Can it be
done using the stock front brake drums/hubs? smile

Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,599
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Online: Content
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,599
I did it on my 50 2-Ton.
Talk to the older guy in your oldest
auto parts store in town.

DON


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
Hi Don,
Around here most all the old auto part
dealers are gone, been replaced by Auto Zone, Auto Supermarket, Advanced Auto, and so
on. Dad brought up one problem I hadn't con-
sidered, there would be no place for the seal
to run. Oh well, I figure on staying with
regular width tires, shouldn't be a problem. grin

Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
I'm running them with a '51 front suspension. I think I just got them from Napa. I'll check today to see if I have a receipt. You replace the race too. No problem with the seal.


40 Chevy 1/2 ton
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
Make that Chevy Duty.


40 Chevy 1/2 ton
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
Hi DennisM,
Is your '5l a half ton? On my truck the
lip of seal runs on the rear bearing inner
race. The inner race has a shoulder for the
seal to run on.
I guess it might be possible to have some
sort of a sleeve made for the seal to run on.
John :confused:

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
I checked out Chevy Duty.com. It is a great site. Seen where they sold kits for
converting to roller bearings. grin

Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
Whitelightning, I have a '51 axle/spindles on my '40. I don't remember anything special about the seal. When you go with the tapered, you also replace the race. Maybe that's the difference.


40 Chevy 1/2 ton
#11360 12/12/2001 10:07 PM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 7
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 7
So does anyone have part numbers???
Last time I redid my bearings it was $100/wheel!!! That includes 2 roller bearings and the seals necessary.
The last time I redid a car with roller bearings it was around $15/wheel (it was a '62 buick, so I know the price isn't just year related).
Thanks
-alfie


-alfie
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
Hi DennisM,
I guess what I'm saying is that the seal
used in the original hub would not work with
roller bearings. The seal used with the ball
bearing rides on the inner race of the rear
bearing. When you replace the ball bearing
with the roller bearing the original seal
would have nothing to ride on. Chevy Duty
must sell a seal that can ride on the
spindle directly.
Anyway I think for the price I'll probably
use my ball bearing as long as they are
good. It good to know that roller bearing
can be used in place of the ball bearings
thou. If the ball bearings give me trouble
then I'll switch them to roller bearings.
Does anyone know if you can still get
short fiber wheel bearing grease? It's
what the Chevy Repair manual says to use. smile

Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 197
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 197
The roller bearings available from Chevy Duty use the original seals. The seal rides on the bearing race just like the original.


Jason

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0