The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (tclederman, greenie-reddy), 150 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,266
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1133037 11/05/2015 6:33 PM
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
Long time, no see, guys -

I haven't started my '54 3104 for about six months. Parked in neutral. Stock 235. Factory four-speed tranny. Can't get it into gear.

I can shift into all gears with the engine off. But when I start the engine in neutral, I can't move the shift lever. The truck will move slightly as I try to force it into gear -- I suppose the synchros are trying to engage. It will grind if I force into gear too much. I put it into third (equivalent to second in 3-spd) and bumped the starter. The truck moved forward, so the gears are going into position.

I tried stomping the clutch a few times to possibly free up the clutch. No good. I can hear a "tick" when the clutch reaches the floor when I stomp it. I've never stomped it with the engine off before, so I don't know if that is normal.

Is the clutch disk stuck to the flywheel or pressure plate? If so, how do I free it up? Or, do I have some other malady?

Thanks for your help,

Lonnie


- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
Hi Lonnie, long time no see.

Sorry to hear that you're having a clutch problem.
With that "tick" sound when the clutch reaches the floor.
Makes me think the pressure plate failed.
I once had the same thing happened to me,You can read about Here.
When my pressure plate failed it was working fine one day and the next day it wouldn't disengage.
There was No reason why it failed.

You can remove clutch housing inspecting pan and inspect to see if fork and throw out bearing are moving correctly.
Also you might be able to see if pressure is moving away from the clutch disc.

It could be a simple clutch pedal adjustment.

jorb #1133043 11/05/2015 7:18 PM
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
A successful update -

jorb - I got it unstuck. Hope that it's not a pressure plate going bad. I just replaced the clutch and pressure plate in my MG TF. The whole MG gearbox weighs 70 pounds and comes out through the cockpit. Easy-breazy. Not so easy with my truck.

Wayne (Wayne67Vert) - You and some other guys in the archives nailed it. I finally entered the correct search words to find some old posts.

I started the engine and ran it to operating temp as Wayne suggested in a couple of old posts. Then I killed the engine, put it into third gear (of four), pushed in the clutch, and bumped the starter. Bingo! All is right with the world. The clutch is unstuck.

Thanks to all of you ... present and old posts ... for your help,

> Wayne - I am prepping the truck for the Woodlawn Cemetery show in Gotha this Sunday, Nov 8. I know that it's a pretty long drive for Vern, but it's an American "feel good" Veteran's Day car show and tribute. Starts at 8:00AM, be there earlier to get a good location.

Lonnie

Last edited by LonnieC; 11/05/2015 7:24 PM.

- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0