Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,093 Posts1,056,154 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2015 Posts: 89 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2015 Posts: 89 | what kind of fluid does the steering box use?
Do they make rebuild kits for these boxes? Mine was caked in grease, along with the frame rail, must have been leaking for years...
how do you get the steering column off the box? I took the bolt off but it doesn't budge!
My box has "266733" on it, need to get it cleaned up and hopefully new seals on it or something!
thanks!!!!
1946 Chevrolet 2-ton
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 | Hy JLM, I don't think the column can be removed from the steering box, you'll have to remove the steering wheel and any cup shaped piece underneath it and then remove the steering box/column as a unit. You might be able to locate seals and bushings/bearings to do a rebuild, but you'll likely have to do some searching. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2015 Posts: 89 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2015 Posts: 89 | ok thanks, im not finding much with the number that is stamped on the box, I see rock auto has a rebuild service, but its $279 without shipping...i figure i could probably do it myslef if i can find the parts, did chevy use the same steering box for different years? newer years? seems to be easier to find something if it was used on the next series of trucks 47+
I havent been able to get my steering wheel off actually, i damaged it a little bit trying so i gave up for now.
1946 Chevrolet 2-ton
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Lares Corporation provides the rebuilt steering gear units for Rockauto Lares 816 part from Rockauto for 47-53 Lares 815 part from Rockauto for 46 They are the same price - about $275 I bought a rebuilt 1954 truck steering gear from Rockauto. The arrangement was: - Lares supposedly had a 1954 truck unit ready to ship - Upon my receiving the rebuilt unit, I would send my old unit (core) - All cost paid through Rockauto For what it is worth (and, for the benefit of other readers), Lares does not know the correct 54/55 truck steering gear/assembly. They shipped me the wrong unit. Lares does an excellent rebuild, but they would not listen to me about them sending me the wrong unit for 1954 trucks. They told me I must have the 1954 truck power steering unit. I told them they were incorrect about a power steering unit being available from GM for 1954 trucks. They told me that I am incorrect. I said "OK". After receiving the wrong unit from Lares, I arranged for Rockauto to ship my unit for rebuild, rather than sending my core-unit after receiving the Lares 1954 truck unit. Here is the good news about dealing with Lares through Rockauto: Rockauto's shipping costs were about 25%-30% of the cost quoted by Lares. ALSO: Rockauto paid all shipping charges for Lares being wrong about the 1954 unit. I arranged for Rockauto to ship my unit as the core for Lares to rebuild. Lares did a beautiful job and even painted/primed the unit to my choice of primer-color. Try this 5% discount code at Rockauto: 3690459B490384 | | | | | Joined: Sep 2015 Posts: 89 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2015 Posts: 89 | If i have to get it rebuilt i'll take a look at lares then, thanks. I'm still hoping to just find a kit, or at least just the gaskets, it seemed to work just fine, just leaked alot is all.
do they just use 90w gear oil? i have a shop manual but i dont see where is specifies oil type exactly
1946 Chevrolet 2-ton
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Most likely steering gear oil/grease is recommended in 1946. (I'll check)
It is hard to find the proper weight/viscosity grease. Corn head gear grease is a close match and readily available (John Deere, for example). | | | | | Joined: Sep 2015 Posts: 89 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2015 Posts: 89 | Thanks. i think i found the gaskets i need on that jim carter website
MES124
http://www.oldchevytrucks.com/cart/product.asp?prodid=MES124&i=|MES124||||
i'll give that a shot before sending it off to get rebuilt
1946 Chevrolet 2-ton
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | JLM, your box may be ok. If someone used 90 wt gear oil it will leak out (it's to thin) and make a big mess leading you to think something is wrong when it's really ok. I use Penrite Steering Box Lube in my trucks, it's thick like honey and self leveling...it's made in Austrailia and there are USA dealers. http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products.php?id_categ=14&id_products=90Mike B  | | | | | Joined: Sep 2015 Posts: 89 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2015 Posts: 89 | I'll give that a shot then thanks, I went ahead and ordered the seal kit it was pretty cheap, I'll get it cleaned up, new seals, painted and the correct fluid!
1946 Chevrolet 2-ton
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2015 Posts: 89 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2015 Posts: 89 | ok that pernrite steering box lube is NGLI 00 - So probably any NGLI 00 grease in a tube would work? makes sence 90w would leak out if its supposed to take an actualy grease not a gear oil,
Do you know how much it takes? just fill it 1/2 way up or all the way from the vent plug in the top?
thanks so much for all the help guys!
1946 Chevrolet 2-ton
| | |
| |