| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,093 Posts1,056,154 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2015 Posts: 203 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2015 Posts: 203 | I have a 1953 GMC 1-ton pickup with a 1954 Chevy 235 and a Muncie SM-420. It has 31" tires and I swapped the center carrier to 4.11 gears.
I've been driving around the neighborhood on test runs for the past couple weeks. One thing has become clear - the SM 420 gearing is too wide and ill-matched for the engine and rear-end combination I have. I never use 1st gear for anything, start out in 2nd and wind out the engine hard to get momentum into 3rd gear on hills. When I'm on a hill going from 2nd to 3rd its pretty dicey, the poor old engine lugs really hard no matter how quick I shift.
So I'm debating on either a Saginaw 4 speed with the 3.11 1st, or an S10 T5. The OD in the T5 would be good once in a blue moon but I'm really after a better gear combo through 1st - 4th.
I read about the T5 swaps and feel ok about that, but I like the gear setup in the Saginaw 3.11. Will a Saginaw 4-speed fit ok and what can I do for linkage? I've not found linkage that will work on the Saginaw and a bench seat. Advice?
1953 GMC 1-Ton Pickup with 350 and 700R4
| | |
| |
| |