The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Phak1, Otto Skorzeny, Guitplayer, 1 invisible), 125 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,338
Members48,440
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#112623 12/03/2003 11:25 PM
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 285
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 285
I have read that the 235 in the passenger car in 1956 was painted BLUE. Further, that the 235 Thriftmaster was painted GREEN. My 235 is coming out of the rebuild shop shortly, and will be detailed prior to going in the '56 3100 Stepside. Question is, what color green is used if this is in fact true? I had saw a photo of a '55 Stepside with the motor painted green, and the valve cover painted blue. Can anyone out there enlighten me on correct color scheme (photo's would definately be a plus). Thank you.

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
Green usually denotes a 261. Truck 235's are usually gray.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 285
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 285
Josiah--Thanks for the reply. What I had read was at www.danroy.com then click on "The Tailgate eTalk" then click on ""Tech Article-Engine Colors". It mentioned the 1955 Truck Thriftmaster as "Grey". On the 1956 (which my truck is) it stated the Thriftmaster 235 as "Green" and the Thriftmaster Special 235 (and I have NO IDEA what the Thriftmaster Special is) as "Grey". Understanding of course both of these last two mentioned '56 motor colors are marked with a ** to indicate an "ASSUMPTION BECAUSE IT IS A CARRY-OVER FROM A PREVIOUS YEAR". Should I then paint it GREY, or GREEN?? It's a bit confusing as I don't see a 235 from 1955 that states it was painted GREEN! Anyone out there have any ideas on this??

Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 285
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 285
OKAY--problem solved. grin The 235 going into my '56 Stepside will be GREY. Believe this is correct and that's what I'm going with. Grey should real good with the truck going to it's original color of Jet Black. NOW, as to the COLOR of Grey, any ideas??? :confused:

Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 86
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 86
Brian, Chevy Duty, Jim Carter, The Truck Shop and others sell this paint. It is suppose to withstand 1200 degrees.

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
"MONGO"
"MONGO"
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
Got mine from CD it seems to be holding up pretty good after about 1000 miles.
Here's what my 235 looked like right before going in the truck.
[img]http://www.chevygmcofkc.org/Gallery/data/3021/1DCP_1472s.jpg[/img]
Mongo


Mongo's Garage
Vintage GM Truck's & Parts
https://mongosgarage.com
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 285
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 285
Appreciate the responses Cd53 & Mongo (and thanks for the photo, it was great! You don't have a photo of after installation in the truck, do you?) Will be detailing the 235 in a couple weeks, and now I feel sure the color will be right! Thanks again. grin

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
"MONGO"
"MONGO"
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
Here's a couple I think I posted here before, might not be quite what your shooting for as I went with a little chrome. I'm shooting for more of a Nostagia hot rod look instead of a restoration. Since these pictures I've added a split exhaust manifold and I'm in the proccess of building a progressive linkage for a 3X intake I'm gonna put on it.
[img]http://www.chevygmcofkc.org/Gallery/data/3021/1DCP_1487s.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.chevygmcofkc.org/Gallery/data/3021/1DCP_1486s.jpg[/img]

After the first drive, with everything hooked up and my car aircleaner installed.
[img]http://www.chevygmcofkc.org/Gallery/data/3021/1DCP_1501s.jpg[/img]
The spots on the chrome are from the leaky radiator cap I had installed.

MONGO


Mongo's Garage
Vintage GM Truck's & Parts
https://mongosgarage.com
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 285
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 285
MONGO,

Thank you so much for the photo's. NICE looking 235 you got there! smile

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 285
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 285
WOW!!! That is one CLEAN motor! grin

Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 86
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 86
Here is my 235 1953 engine.

My engine

Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 285
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 285
cd53--Great looking motor! smile Thank you all for your replies. NOW, I know what MINE is going to look like!!!


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0