The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (55shaker, 49nut, ndkid275, Gdads51, Rusty Rod), 112 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,367
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1126115 09/25/2015 3:04 AM
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1
5
Moderated
Moderated
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1
Can I lower the front of my chevy with lowering blocks? I was think that i could put the block with the springs under the front axle like a rear axle job. Is this possible? I have a very tight budget. Didn't know how much of an adjustment I will have to make to the steering.

The truck is all stock.

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 11
2
New Guy
New Guy
2 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 11
I lowered my truck down by going to a monoleaf spring, but this wasn't inexpensive. However, before going this route I did look at other options. One of the options that I believe is available at a lower cost is to remove leafs from the springpack.


1949 Chevy 1/2 Five Window
2011 CTS V Coupe
Michael Zahn
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
When you remove springs from the spring pack, what does that do to the GVW limit?

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
Some time ago someone posted pictures of what it looked like with the front axle on the other side of the springs and it was obvious this would not work as suspension travel would be less than an inch. I removed the 2 shortest leaves on mine and the bumper dropped about 1 1/2" and I found the ride improved somewhat. It suprised me the steering wheel was out of position 90 degrees after what I thought was a minimal alteration. No idea what that did to the GVW but I don't haul much anyways.







1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,811
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,811
There is no safe, effective way to lower the front end of a straight axle Chevy truck more than a couple of inches without doing major alterations to the steering geometry. A dropped axle works, but at the risk of creating "bump steer" unless the vertical position of the steering gear on the frame is also changed. The drag link from the steering box to the left front spindle must be level with the ground after the lowering job.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Originally Posted by 51 runner
Can I lower the front of my chevy with lowering blocks?
NO! Blocks on the front axle is very bad. It can lead to severe handling and safety issues.
While I can understand cost issues, the best bet would be to wait until you can do it the correct way.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 623
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 623
My '51 3100 was lowered by the PO the old school way, I was told. When he had his shop in Albuquerque, NM, he had his guys heat the springs with an oxy/acet torch and then allowed them to "sag" under the trucks' weight until they got it where they wanted it. The pics of it are at the level they dropped it to. Not a huge drop, but at least a few people have noticed it and asked me about it. It has 15" wheels and tires on it, also. I noticed it seemed a little lower when I was checking it out before I bought it, but the guy confirmed that it had, and how it was done. I think it was brought up when I asked what the duct tape wrap was for on all 4 springs. He said it (supposedly) keeps them from squeaking. Anyway, this is one way to accomplish this, and I have to admit, it runs smooth and true, still. The pics I have on my signature are from the day I bought it from Frank up in Decatur, Illinois. His good friend, also in Decatur, was the restorer of the truck, and its previous owner before Frank. (William Clark, who is also a restorer of Model A's and T's, is the PO who lowered it in this method)


"When I rest, I rust"
1951 3100 5 window w/ '56 235



Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Heating the springs is also a bad way to lower a vehicle. Ruins the temper of the steel. Sure, it's cheap and easy, but it's still not the proper way to do it.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 623
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 623
longboxx55 My truck has made it just fine for 20+ years this way. Apparently, it is A proper way to do it, otherwise there would have been many problems by now. Maybe you should have stated that it has to be done correctly and by someone who knows what they're doing in order for it to be properly done. Did you do it with bad results? Have you ever seen one that's actually been done this way? There are right ways and wrong ways to do many things. I've been a fitter/welder for over 30 years, a union Ironworker for 25, a welding instructor for IW apprentices for 5 and have a degree in welding, metallurgy and properties of materials (as does my wife) and I've never heard of anyone "ruining the temper of steel". I've heard of steel losing it's temper, sometimes partially and sometimes fully, but I also know that there are ways to heat steel without losing the temper or causing the crystallization, which causes carbon deposits to separate into pockets, by properly heating to required levels and quenching in the right medium.

Mine is doing fine, 51 runner. Not everyone should be heating steel, though. Especially if they don't understand it or know what they're doing. Just cause it ain't for everybody doesn't mean it's not possible. I didn't do the springs on this truck, but it seems to have worked fine here. Just don't tell my truck. It could turn it into a hypochondriac - and ruin it. smile


"When I rest, I rust"
1951 3100 5 window w/ '56 235



Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,811
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,811
Be careful that you don't break your arm trying to pat yourself on the back.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
You got lucky. To answer your question, yes, I have seen them fail from heating them to lower the suspension. I've also seen plenty of vehicles sitting lopsided due to the springs sagging differently from side to side.
I'm in agreement with Jerry.


Bill Burmeister

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0