The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (baldeagle, 78buckshot, R&S 51 GMC, Wayne67vert, Peggy M), 122 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,338
Members48,440
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 21
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 21
I thought I had an Apache 3800 but now I'm not so sure. There are no emblems and I've yet to find numbers as there are no longer tags...unless I'm not looking in all the right places?

My truck is a 1958, dually, 8-lug, and Custom Cab (best I can tell), with primary and relief springs in the rear with more leaves than an oak tree. What other info can I provide to help make the distinction?


1958 Chevy Apache 3800
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 574
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 574
did you look at the driver's side door pillar for a VIN plate? also check for GVW plate there too.

also, how long is the bed. is there a truck bed or a flatbed? how about tires, are they 7.00x20 or smaller? bigger? just some things for you to check, usually if you have most of these traits, it's more than likely a 1.5 ton or larger.


Indy wink


1949 Dodge Coronet
1955 2nd Chevy 4400 1.5 ton
1955 2nd Chevy 3100 1/2 ton
1955 2nd Chevy 3100 1/2 ton
1957 Chevy 5400 LCF 2 ton
1966 Dodge D100 Sweptline
1968 Chevy P20 stepvan
1969 GMC LWB pickup
1972 GMC Sprint
1974 CP30 shorty bus

There are three things that I've learned never discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin.----Linus Van Pelt
Trying to understand the behavior of some people is like trying to smell the color 9 big_eek



Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy TonofFun, according to my truck sales data book for 1959 "Apaches are series 31 to 38. Medium duty Vikings consist of Series 40, 50 and 60. Heavy-duty Spartans include Series 70,80,90 and 100. Series 50, 70 and 90 are Low Cab Forward models, sometimes abbreviated as "LCF" models." Hope that helps.

Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 21
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 21
Originally Posted by 3B
Hy TonofFun, according to my truck sales data book for 1959 "Apaches are series 31 to 38. Medium duty Vikings consist of Series 40, 50 and 60. Heavy-duty Spartans include Series 70,80,90 and 100. Series 50, 70 and 90 are Low Cab Forward models, sometimes abbreviated as "LCF" models." Hope that helps.

That's what I'm finding as well, but I have no way of distinguishing between a 3800 Apache or a Viking 40. I looked again and there are no more numbers or data plates. But, the overall length is around 212" and the tires are 8R19.5. I also counted the leaves in the rear end and I have 8 primary and 8 relief, but I do know that a few have been added.

Last edited by TonofFun; 09/21/2015 8:33 PM.

1958 Chevy Apache 3800
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 21
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 21
Originally Posted by Materman
did you look at the driver's side door pillar for a VIN plate? also check for GVW plate there too.

also, how long is the bed. is there a truck bed or a flatbed? how about tires, are they 7.00x20 or smaller? bigger? just some things for you to check, usually if you have most of these traits, it's more than likely a 1.5 ton or larger.


Indy wink

I've checked those spots and more, unfortunately...nothing there. I included the length overall and some other specs that you asked for in the post above but I failed to mention that there is currently no bed whatsoever. I am going to put a flatbed on it.

Last edited by TonofFun; 09/21/2015 8:31 PM.

1958 Chevy Apache 3800
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
The 8 lug wheels are the giveaway, it's a 3800 1 ton Apache. The Vikings either used a large 5 lug front/10 lug rear, or a larger 6 lug all around. They also have much wider front fenders than the 1/2 through 1 ton trucks. There should be a serial number plate spot welded to the drivers side door pillar, usually on a windshield frame part of the door opening. The number should also be stamped on the drivers side frame rail, near the steering box.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 21
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 21
Thank you very much everyone!


1958 Chevy Apache 3800
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 32
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 32
The front end sheetmetal of the 3800 is the same as the other light duty Apaches. The Vikings have larger fenders that flare out ahead of the doors.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0