The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jon G, dt235sd, Wally / Montana, 1 invisible), 93 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,269
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1122212 09/02/2015 3:44 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 323
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 323
Working on getting this beast home. 1957 10700 series. Pretty rusty but just cool to look at.

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb402/tri5trucking/log%20truck_zpsfcbqjvzf.jpg

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 574
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 574
very nice, are you gonna restore or use for parts?


1949 Dodge Coronet
1955 2nd Chevy 4400 1.5 ton
1955 2nd Chevy 3100 1/2 ton
1955 2nd Chevy 3100 1/2 ton
1957 Chevy 5400 LCF 2 ton
1966 Dodge D100 Sweptline
1968 Chevy P20 stepvan
1969 GMC LWB pickup
1972 GMC Sprint
1974 CP30 shorty bus

There are three things that I've learned never discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin.----Linus Van Pelt
Trying to understand the behavior of some people is like trying to smell the color 9 big_eek



Joined: May 2005
Posts: 323
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 323
It may just be yard art

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Nice truck, what's it got for power?

322 V8?

5-speed trans?

Live tandem with Power Divider?

Air Brakes?

I'd love to see more pictures of the interior, engine and rears.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 323
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 323
Here's what I know so far. I'm sure it had the 322 originally. The truck had a 409 in it and that is why it was purchased and the engine pulled. It was originally a hydramatic, at least it has the emblem on the doors. Guy was going to part it out but I am going to get the truck minus engine and trans probably for décor and so it doesn't get scrapped. I'd been looking for a good yard art truck and I think this will fit in well especially here in the Pacific Northwest

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
She's so fine my 409...good save


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
The 5 speed is probably an NP-540, 542, 543, which is a pretty useful trans.


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 323
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 323
So I got the tandem home and added some new pictures of the cab and axles. No guts and the log bunks were gone. Still a good save from being dismantled.

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb402/tri5trucking/log2_zpsnegjmjsz.jpg

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Is the Powermatic trans still there, what about the Power Divider?

There is a junk yard a few hours away that had a '58 (last time I was there) with the Powermatic and Power Divider still in place. I have always thought it would be neat to save, but I don't have a project to put it on.

I not looking for any more projects, but a 56/57 Tandem would change that quick! LOL

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 323
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 323
No, the engine and trans are gone. This truck has so much rust a guy would probably end up starting with just a frame. My idea was to put some log bunks back on and put a load of old cedar poles on it and let her sit

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
Looks like the truck is a "True Twin-Screw". From the pic,I can't tell if the front axle is connected to a power divider,or if what I see is an air brake can. This truck looks VERY Similar to a tandem T.F. crane truck,I saw on "youtube",a couple of years ago. Your frame looks fairly straight,so probably not the same truck. The one in the video had a noticeable sag between the cab,and front rear axle. It had a V-8,which was running on 6 cylinders,at best,but didn't smoke.just had a BAD exhaust leak. They were still using it to install rafters on new homes! COOL!!


Just sold: 1955 2nd Series 6500 2-Ton Flatbed Truck
Mo' Tater
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pics and videos on Photobucket

It takes an awful big dog to weigh a ton.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 323
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 323
My info on this truck is it originally had the buick 322 engine,(replaced with the 409) 6 speed Powermatic trans, the 3 speed browning, power divider, all which were gone when I found the truck. It did have air brakes also. When the guy I got it from found it at an estate sale, the owner told him he could haul logs tomorrow with it if he wanted. It's placard weight read 68,000lbs

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
Here's that '57 Crane Truck! It'd be Cool,loading logs on your truck with this one! TWINS,(Almost)!


Just sold: 1955 2nd Series 6500 2-Ton Flatbed Truck
Mo' Tater
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pics and videos on Photobucket

It takes an awful big dog to weigh a ton.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 323
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 323
That a great truck. I like the single exhaust stack. I did get the 2 stacks mine had with it.


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0