The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Swami29, Gdads51, joe apple, 2 invisible), 88 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,116
Posts1,056,637
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1122951 09/07/2015 11:30 AM
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 384
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 384
Hi.. my 261 engine has worked perfect up until this last week. Went for annual safety check, and it passed smile smile but RIGHT outside the building at a crossroad it died when I stopped for redlight. Was VERY hard to start.
Same thing happened later this weekend several times.

I will remove the carb coming weekend and check it up.
Couldn't see any leaks when I looked but it sure smelled a lot of fuel.

When it has died it runs "fine" again only with a bit of choke, if I push the choke in completely it starts rumbling and dies again. Then all of a sudden it runs perfect again.

I guess a good cleaning can do the trick so that's the first thing to do coming weekend.


My Chevy Viking 1959

Ulf Hedlund. Eskilstuna. Sweden
[email protected]
Also:
Ford Galaxie 4 dr 1959
Ford Custom 4 dr 1964
Ford Mustang GT 2005
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 430
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 430
I would go for fuel delivery. Probably sediment in the tank that gets around the fuel pick up. Once you stop and move around a little it goes away from the pick up and lets you start again.


Randy Domeck
Indianapolis Fabrications
[email protected]
Indianapolis, In. 46254
317-258-0039

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 384
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 384
I removed the tank when I got the truck because of that.
Use a 60 liter oil barrel hanging on the outside of the frame.

Have fixed a "new" tank from another 59 that has no rust.
It will replace the temporary tank for next year. Just need a new fuel sending unit.

I will clean the the carb to begin with, not that much left of this season now.



My Chevy Viking 1959

Ulf Hedlund. Eskilstuna. Sweden
[email protected]
Also:
Ford Galaxie 4 dr 1959
Ford Custom 4 dr 1964
Ford Mustang GT 2005
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
Hi,Ulf! my 261 had the same symptoms,and the culprit was the carb. The halves warped to the point that it was sucking more air than fuel. It would only idle with choke closed,and "fell on its face",when up-shifting. It would stall,and starting afterwards was difficult at best. Probably not too many spare carbs,in the Netherlands,but there is a tech tip,on "youtube",on how to re-align a warped carburetor. I'll see if I can find the link,and post it "Here"...https://youtu.be/V2AINKEauVM

Last edited by wetwilly5757; 09/09/2015 1:25 AM.

Just sold: 1955 2nd Series 6500 2-Ton Flatbed Truck
Mo' Tater
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pics and videos on Photobucket

It takes an awful big dog to weigh a ton.
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 384
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 384
I will remove it and check it completely.

I have an old WEBER carb, 36/36, might come in handy as replacement if needed.

GREAT movie smile smile THANKS

Last edited by lastchancetowing; 09/09/2015 8:24 AM.

My Chevy Viking 1959

Ulf Hedlund. Eskilstuna. Sweden
[email protected]
Also:
Ford Galaxie 4 dr 1959
Ford Custom 4 dr 1964
Ford Mustang GT 2005
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 384
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 384
Carb removed and cleaned. Looked like CRAP inside.
So did the fuel filter.

After cleaning and a new fuel and air filter I fine tuned the carb... the truck runs like a champ again.

Time to fix the inside of the tank smile



My Chevy Viking 1959

Ulf Hedlund. Eskilstuna. Sweden
[email protected]
Also:
Ford Galaxie 4 dr 1959
Ford Custom 4 dr 1964
Ford Mustang GT 2005
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
GLAD to hear your truck is "Back in Business"!


Just sold: 1955 2nd Series 6500 2-Ton Flatbed Truck
Mo' Tater
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pics and videos on Photobucket

It takes an awful big dog to weigh a ton.
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 384
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 384
Just installed a roots hexatone air horn kit in it smile smile smile
My neighbours hate me.


My Chevy Viking 1959

Ulf Hedlund. Eskilstuna. Sweden
[email protected]
Also:
Ford Galaxie 4 dr 1959
Ford Custom 4 dr 1964
Ford Mustang GT 2005

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0