The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (Ponchogl, TexasJim50, Gdads51, JW51, dt235sd, 3 invisible), 73 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,131
Posts1,056,372
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 4
V
New Guy
New Guy
V Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 4
Just took delivery of a '62 C-10 that came from a non-ethanol state. The only type of gas I can get in my state are blends with 10% ethanol. Are there any precautions I should take when adding ethanol fuel to the truck for the first time? I have seen the ethanol play hell on older carbed engines around here and don't want to go through that with my new to me truck.


1962 Chevrolet C-10 Short-Step
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
If that is all you can get you should be prepared for extra maintenance. Anything rubber will suffer. They do make special fuel hoses just for ethanol so I would start by replacing all the fuel lines. The Carb internals will deteriorate faster and you should stay on top of that. You don't say what engine you have but it probably isn't made to run ethanol and may need a rebuild sooner than later. There will be some on here that disagree with me about ethanol but I know there is problems associated with the stuff. As long as I can buy real gas I won't put ethanol in anything.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I have to disagree. We've had ethanol here since the mid '70s, and I've run all of my vehicles on it for the last 20+ years. I have yet to see any of the problems that are claimed with use of ethanol. Some areas, like Colorado, have been using since these trucks were new. I would think if it were as much of a problem as some of the horror stories claim, there would have been reports of it 60+ years ago.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
Buy some Stabil fuel stabilizer (red bottle)and use it if the truck isn't going to be driven much. That's what I do and have had good luck in doing so.

Hope that helps.

_____
John thumbs_up


Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 4
V
New Guy
New Guy
V Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 4
Thanks for the responses guys! I can buy non-ethanol gas from a local sunoco station near me....they sell it in the 5-gallon pail. It's a little pricey, but it might be the way to go for the next few months until the truck gets put away for the winter.


1962 Chevrolet C-10 Short-Step
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 313
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 313
See if any of these gas stations are near you.

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MA

Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 491
D
Unconventional Thinker
Unconventional Thinker
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 491
Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
If that is all you can get you should be prepared for extra maintenance. Anything rubber will suffer. They do make special fuel hoses just for ethanol so I would start by replacing all the fuel lines. The Carb internals will deteriorate faster and you should stay on top of that. You don't say what engine you have but it probably isn't made to run ethanol and may need a rebuild sooner than later. There will be some on here that disagree with me about ethanol but I know there is problems associated with the stuff. As long as I can buy real gas I won't put ethanol in anything.

Definitely replace your old rubber lines with the ethanol resistant kind. I have an '81 chevy and all of the rubber lines got ruined by the ethanol fuel here. They are old, but they were fine for a while and then all of a sudden the truck started running poorly. Timing is spot on, carburetor is too. Fuel filters are new, but the lines I haven't replaced on top of the tanks are shot, causing the fuel pump to lose prime and cavitate. On my '65 I replaced all the rubber lines before they got too bad, and they were in bad shape when I took them off. I was shocked that the truck even ran as good as it did, because the hoses were very brittle and deteriorated. May have been old age, but I wasn't taking any chances. Definitely rebuild the carb with ethanol resistant parts too. I think from there you're good to go with keeping it tuned up.


Shane

Shane's Toys...
2007 Forester XT Limited (2nd Owner)
1991 Cherokee Laredo (2nd Owner)
1981 Chevy 3/4 Ton Fleetside 8,600 Camper Special (3rd Owner)
1965 Chevy 3/4 Ton Fleetside (3rd Owner)
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 55
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 55
The valves suffer from unleaded gas and adding etahonal makes it worse. The lead lubricated the valve seats. Add a quart of diesel to every tankful of gas. and the hoses and rubber parts do sometines go bad. My daily driver is a 66 GMC 250 six and its the original engine. And the diesel in the gas works for me.


Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0