The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Peggy M, Shade Baby, Gray_Ghost, NorthCoast3800), 130 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,120
Posts1,056,321
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1122706 09/05/2015 3:50 PM
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 57
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 57
I thought that I would add some pics of the new project that I am working on. I originally found this on the H.A.M.B. (Jalopy journal) and thought that I would give it a shot. The intent for my truck is to update the wiring to 12v and update the engine to a newer straight 6 (Chevy 292 cu from a 65 3/4 ton) so why not add a tach at the same time. I will be adding new SW guages with black face and white numbers to replace the original guages, so I thought the speedo and tach should match as well. I went to a local sign shop and had them replicate the speedo face in black and create a tach face for me using the original font. They created decals which go over top of the original speedo face. I will add more pics as the project progress.

http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/1...0Tach/image.jpg1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0[/url]


1966 Chevrolet Caprice 2 Door Hardtop (396 Big Block)
1951 GMC 9434 5 Window (waiting on a 292 transplant)
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 250
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 250
Nice! Those gauges will look great.

Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 57
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 57
Jim,
Thanks. I have added a few more pics. Same link as above. I still have to repaint the centres as I had a small screwdriver slip. Next step is to add the needles, glass and bezels.

Dave


1966 Chevrolet Caprice 2 Door Hardtop (396 Big Block)
1951 GMC 9434 5 Window (waiting on a 292 transplant)
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
It appears that your speedometer shaft is broken

But hard to tell from the pics

You may want to check it out.

Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 57
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 57
Hard to tell, but the shaft is good. I wasn't so lucky with the first speedo that I took apart, snapped the shaft off at the base of the needle.
Dave


1966 Chevrolet Caprice 2 Door Hardtop (396 Big Block)
1951 GMC 9434 5 Window (waiting on a 292 transplant)
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 57
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 57
I added 2 new photos of the speedo and tach, with the needles installed and also a photo with the glass and bezel installed on the tach. Still waiting for the new bezel and gasket to show up for the speedo. For the speedo I have installed a odometer for a 53 Vette which has the black with white numbers, I also have a reproduction odometer with the white with black numbers for the AD trucks, just not sure which way to go for the odometer. For those that are restoring a speedo, Jim Carter sells the reproduction odometer. Once I have the bezel and glass installed, I will post more pics.

Dave


1966 Chevrolet Caprice 2 Door Hardtop (396 Big Block)
1951 GMC 9434 5 Window (waiting on a 292 transplant)

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0