The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Barry Martak, Otto Skorzeny, Hawkman, stlcardinalsguy, MickeyP, Oswald), 113 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,414
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 8
V
New Guy
New Guy
V Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 8
Hi all. I have a 1961 Canadian GMC half ton. I am wanting to replace the lenses (clear) on the front parking lights. However, they seem to be different than later years, in that the lenses appear to be held in place by 2 rivets? How does one go about replacing the lenses with this setup? Also, I got replacement lenses from Classic Industries, but they look like they are held on with 4 screws. Anyone know if these can be made to fit? As a secondary question, why the dual filament bulb? One for park light, and one for turn signal, I'm guessing?

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Have to remove rivets and re rivet. Big delicate job. PITA. Dual filament is park and turn. Go to 6066GMCclub forum for info on the lenses. I read some of it already. They said something about hard to see clips to release? Release lens bucket or lens? not sure. I think you "release" the lens/bucket assy and replace lens on the bench. I have a 1960 GMC hood I'll have to see what I can see.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 8
V
New Guy
New Guy
V Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 8
Thanks! Can see why the design was changed for later years, sounds like I'm in for some "fun". Will check out that forum.

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,181
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,181
Vetnat,

Jolly from the 60-66 club - used to sell a neat little tool that will allow you to push up on both clips at the same time to allow the bottom of the lens housing to pop out. You can do the same with a large bladed screwdriver or 'chisel' (1" wide). You have to do this from the bottom of the housing, you push against the lip of the hood edge (nothing to give you leverage from the top side) Pop one side lose, and them the other, have someone hold onto the front of the housing so you can use both hands.

Once you remove the housing and while on your bench, you can use a Dremel tool to SLOWLY grind the back side of the rivet, (SLOWLY means - grind, cool with water, repeat) if not, you take a chance of starting to melt the lens from the excessive heat. A drill will work as well, but the same issues with heat will happen.

Once the lens is removed, you will need to replace the old dried up gasket, the after market truck places sell a close replacements, but I med mine from gasket paper from NAPA.

You should be able to see mine here.

http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/j...ens_zps36516371.jpg.html?sort=6&o=12


Last edited by Modelman; 09/21/2015 1:33 PM.

1960 GMC 305A V-6 Gallery Page
Remember, the government cannot give --anything to anyone --that they have not first taken away from someone else.
BUY AMERICAN http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/index.html

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0