| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
3 members (tclederman, TUTS 59, 1 invisible),
132
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,279 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 1,718 Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters | | Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters Joined: May 2007 Posts: 1,718 | 1966 K10. Discovered an anomaly I can't quite explain. When light knob is off fuel indicates a fuel level - full. When light knob is pulled out, fuel indication goes down some (indicated about 3/4 tank) and is steady. When I use the dimmer switch for the instrument gauge lights the fuel indication moves with the dimmer switch. Curious to me at this point. I am sure someone has some idea as to what is occurring? Hambone | | | | | Joined: Feb 2013 Posts: 614 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2013 Posts: 614 | Hambone, check the easiest thing first. Sounds like your devices are looking for a ground. Run a temporary ground to your Guage cluster and see what happens | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | HB, Is this at idle or at road speed? If it's only happening at idle then it's a matter of Ohm's Law. The voltage is dropping due to the large current flow to the lights, which also changes the current flow on the gas guage. The same thing happens with the blinkers...at idle they flash slow and as soon as the engine speeds up they blink faster. If it happens at road speed your generator is not charging and Ohm's Law still applies. Mike B  | | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 1,718 Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters | | Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters Joined: May 2007 Posts: 1,718 | Good stuff. Not that I use the lights all that much, I noticed this phenomenon last week and was curious. I will do some more investigating and then add a ground. Can I ground the entire cluster to the dash or am I repairing the ground at each gauge. Ohms law - I will have to get out my kids physics book and review the theory. That also will be a good father son project. Thanks gents. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2013 Posts: 614 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2013 Posts: 614 | Ham, just get a long heavy alligator jumper. Attach one end to a solid body ground and the other to to Guage cluster. See what happens. If nothing we will look at it in Winchester | | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 | The fuel gauge is sensitive to voltage fluctuations. Fancy way to say grounds matter. The above suggestions are good ones. If a ground wire fixes the issue, the problem is solved. Enjoy
Steve H
| | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 1,718 Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters | | Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters Joined: May 2007 Posts: 1,718 | I checked some more stuff with this situation. Occurs at all RPMs. Fuel gauge bounces with blinkers as well. Sounds like a new ground is required. I will head in that direction. | | |
| |
| |