The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (MickeyP, jmoore, GMCJammer51, TPR57C, Eisenholtz, 55shaker, 1 invisible), 107 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,627
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 126
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 126
I'm looking to sub out my rear end to get a higher gear ratio so I can drive on highway. I've heard on this site that a 72 nova rear end marries up well. Also a Malibu, but not sure which year. Is there a "top three" list?

Thanks!

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,228
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,228
My'37 has a 1979 Trans Am / Firebird 10 bolt rear axle under it. It's the 8.5" ring and pinion axle. There are lots of gear choices with this size axle. I am using a 3.08 with 28" tall tires. 70 + mph is no problem for my 250, it will run all day long at 2400 to 2500 rpm.

I am also using standard 7" wide Chevrolet Rally wheels with a 2" wider fiberglass rear fender. In the last 15 years of having the truck on the road, no ones has noticed the wider fenders!

I did have to remove the spring perches and replace them with 1.75" wide ones from a trailer shop. The late models used wider leaf springs. You will need a different transmission and driveshaft.

Joe

Last edited by Joe H; 08/12/2015 2:06 AM.
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 126
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 126
Thanks, joe


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0