The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (3B, Bill Hanlon, TooMany2count, Otto Skorzeny, Peggy M, GDW, 1 invisible), 114 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,460
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 166
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 166
I have had nothing but trouble trying to get my brake work started on my ol 51. First off, the head was terribly stripped on the mc filler bolt. I eventually bought an ez out, started drilling only to find the bolt was no bolt at all, just a washer with a head on it and very hollow. I decided to remove the mc but I couldn't get to the back bolt inside the channel/bracket. I decided to try and remove the whole assy but got to the last bolt and it is too tight to get to and I'll have to remove several more parts just to get to that bolt. Am I crazy or is this job really as hard as it seems to be ? I am at an empass and not sure how to go from here. Any help very appreciated smile

Troy


Troy
1963 Chevy C60
Big Red Chevy
In the Stovebolt Gallery

1951 GMC 453 Series 3-Ton Army Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Online: Content
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Online: Content
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Red63, I'm sorry you're having a harder than normal time trying to overhaul your brake system, it might help to remember that these parts have been together for 64 years. Brake fluid attracts moisture from the air, that moisture starts corroding the system from the inside. When dissimilar metals corrode in close contact like your master cylinder cap they tend to lock together. You just need to do whatever you have to to remove components to overhaul them, try to save the fittings but don't worry about destroying the brake lines. You will feel great when you have it all done, but it definitely can be a hassle, keep plugging away at it, good luck.

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 166
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 166
Thanks, 3b for the encouragement. I got th mc off this afternoon with the help of my son-in-law. Now to get the filler cap off... It appears to be rusted so badly it seems as one with the housing. I will work on that for awhile now smile


Troy
1963 Chevy C60
Big Red Chevy
In the Stovebolt Gallery

1951 GMC 453 Series 3-Ton Army Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0