The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Mr Crosswrench, RLB, klhansen, 1 invisible), 108 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,133
Posts1,056,395
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Does anyone have an installation template for the original-accessory-style (black) running board step plate (1/2 ton, if it makes a difference)? The template would, I guess, mark where the attachment-posts' holes would be drilled.

If you have a template, would you please let me know from whom you received it. Also, are you able to scan the template and either post it here or email it to me?

Tim

[email protected]

My email is once again unreliable, so you might not be able to send it to me until tomorrow.

Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 793
T
Bondo Artiste
Bondo Artiste
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 793
I bought my step plates from Jim Carter's, but the template was hard to follow. Don't laugh or scorn me, but this is how I installed mine.

I lined up the plates on the running boards very carefully in the position that I wanted, then I stepped on them eek

Then when I pulled them off, the studs on the step plates left a nice mark for me to drill into, and they lined up perfect the very first time. Afterwards, I sprayed some undercoating on the underside of the board so the nice new shiney bolts would not rust. Also, you could put a dab of "white out" on the studs so that you won't take the risk of bending one of the studs if you stand on the step plate.

These step plates are one of the best things I have done for my truck.

Take care!!


~ Phillip
1949 GMC Suburban - 10 year project
1952 Pontiac Chieftain Convertible straight 8 hydramatic
1945 GMC half ton truck - Driver- Sold 9-15-25
1946 Chevy COE - SOLD 1-5-26 BUH BYE CHEVY!
1959 GMC Half ton long bed NAPCO
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 504
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 504
I installed mine the same way as Phillip and had no problems...


Bill M
53 GMC Hydra-Matic

Home Page
http://home.comcast.net/~bd97/index.html

When you argue with a fool, two fools are arguing..
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 358
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 358
Ditto.


1953 Chevrolet 1300 - Daily driver
Collecting Vintage Whizzer motorbikes
http://www.whizzerick.com
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Thank you all very much. You have made me feel much better about my plan "B".

Phillip, I was going to use chalk but I like the white-out idea much better.

Thanks, Tim

Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 55
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 55
Do the running board have to come off to install? It looks like a tight space to drill under the cab area.

Thanks,

Sergio


LOS ANGELES, CA

48 FLEETLINE AERO, 50 CANOPY EXPRESS

52 SUBURBAN, 57 BIG WINDOW Pickup, 64 Malibu CV

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0