The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (rfs56trk, Guitplayer), 78 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,566
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#111667 12/20/2002 1:30 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 85
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 85
Hi all. I need some advice on installing hood springs on a 59 1/2 ton chevy.
The truck never had hood springs since I have owned it. I bought a set, they seemed too short by about 2 inches,so I used a chain eye to bridge the gap. The springs will not hold the hood up, they will hold it about 4 inches from closed.
My question is: Is there a way to stretch the springs to go from the hinges to the slit in the fender? Maybe I have the wrong springs (they are new, purchased from a vendor.)
I figure there is some trick, I just don't know it.
Thanks,

Curly

#111668 12/20/2002 4:02 AM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 578
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 578
Climb in and then close the hood. They'll hook right up!


"Happiness equals reality minus expectations" - Tom Magliozzi
#111669 12/20/2002 7:35 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 85
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 85
if only it were that easy. With the hood closed the springs are longer. I have pushed teh hood open as far as it will go,but still lack 1+1/2 to 2 inches of connecting the springs.

#111670 12/21/2002 2:07 AM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 72
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 72
OK there are a couple of ways to go about this. First is the somewhat iffy way, get your floor jack and hook one end of the spring around the axle and the other end off of the jack platform. Jack the spring up to extend it the amount you need. Then take pennies and put them between the coils. Be very careful installing the spring cause if the pennies slip it will pinch rather badly.

Second (preferred) method. Use the jack method as described earlier. Cut a piece of exhaust tubing in half lengthwise the length that you need for the spring. Weld a couple of washers in each end of the 1/2 pipe and install. When you extend the springs to the end of travel it will loosen the jig to remove it.

Lots of luck
Dennis

#111671 12/22/2002 12:28 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 85
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 85
Dabond, you da man! Great idea on the exhaust tubing. I knew someone had done this before!
Thanks,
Curly


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0