The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Opelika Tom, Charles in CA, CandoBrent, Woodcmiami, Wayne67vert, Otto Skorzeny), 75 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,077
Posts1,056,280
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1116309 07/29/2015 8:55 PM
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 205
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 205
Hi everyone, I'm looking at a 1962 GMC pick up with a V-6 original motor 127000 miles. The owner and his wife have had it in their family since 1962. According to their testimony two weeks ago they were driving it on your Sunday cruise and their motor stopped . No loud noises nothing out of the unordinary just lose of power. When they tried to restart the only thing happen was they could here the starter try to turn the motor over but the bendix was just making noise. Dipsticks displays plenty of oil transmission displays plenty of fluid . What could this problem be?

S


Chevytruckdaddy
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Not sure if you are looking to buy or just helping someone.
Probably nothing expensive. If you are wondering whether to buy or not, push it to start. If it starts and runs good, offer less to cover repairs. You can also try jumping battery in case it is low battery.(my guess). To go into what could be wrong can take awhile especially if you don't have access to test and all that. You probably know what the list is already.
Push to start= roll it with clutch in and in 2nd or 3rd and pop clutch at about 5 mph. Is it an auto, 3 sp or 4sp?
Can't push auto.

List without hearing it: (and it does make some difference if it's just clicking solenoid or starter is turning some)
1. Starter
2. Solenoid
3. Ignition Switch
4. Connections, hot and ground
5. Battery (which can mean VR or Gen problems)
6. "they could hear" why can't you hear?


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 205
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 205
Thank you, I've purchased the truck and will pick it up Saturday. Saturday evening I'll post my finding and give you an update...

S


Chevytruckdaddy
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
Pictures and specific description of what ails and we will have you running in no time.
If seller has parts or extras let us know.
HB


~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Those 305 V6's are boat anchors. I have two. After having it awhile, I am starting to like it. It weighs 800 lbs! No real performance. Lots of torque. 4 1/4 bore!! Aluminum pistons. The most advanced engineered motor of it's day. (oiling, cooling and strength innovations). Lasts forever. Many parts are hard to find. I have some motor related parts. They are known as a big block. I have a 1960 GMC 1/2T 4x4 K1000 series, big window, custom cab, short fleet.(wideside)305A and 305E.
Yours has the torsion front end. It will have a 305D (stamped on passenger side, top front of block). Check for build sheet in seat springs; having one owner documents: money. If it has side trim: money. "GMC only" parts are more rare of course.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 205
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 205
So I'm looking ahead and I'm not finding simple parts like the front grill or the Grill letters, GMC, where do I find this stuff? If I need motor parts where do I find those parts?

S


Chevytruckdaddy
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
The usual places, ebay, craigslist, Stovebolt wanted, swap meets and there is a website for 6066 GMC V6. 6066gmcclub. GMC specific parts, as I said, are a little more rare. PM if you need parts. Can't discuss specific "wanted" in this section.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 205
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 205
Awesome thank you.... I'd like to post some pictures but I'm not sure how to do it....

S


Chevytruckdaddy
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Motor parts are available at most auto parts stores that have been around awhile. NAPA is a good place to start. I had a 305 V6 many years ago and I just could not kill it and believe me I tried.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 205
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 205
Awesome thank you Martin


Chevytruckdaddy
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,502
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,502
It might not be a bad idea to see if the timing chain came loose. I had this happen in the late 60s. It backfired once when I tried to start it instead of dying while running, though. Because nobody expected the timing chain we tried a lot of other things before looking there. If it had happened while the engine was running, I'd expect there would have been noise, however. Good luck!
Jon


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 205
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 205
Well as it stands the motor appears to be locked up....

I guess it's off to my favorite engine shop.... Unless there's an alternative solution!!!


S


Chevytruckdaddy
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 205
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 205
I put a socket on the lower pulley and tried to see if I could get her to move but nothing...


Chevytruckdaddy
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
I got a 62 with the 305 V6 from a friend that had it overhauled maybe 5000 miles ago and then sold his country place. I then traded it to my neighbor for rock plus spreading it on my driveway. He's done nothing with it (like all his projects) so if you think this could help you PM me and I'll put you in direct contact with him. He's usually very reasonable when selling abandoned projects. I see your in Virginia and he's in Texas so that's probably a killer.


Evan

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0