Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
10 members (Gdads51, Bucker, GMCJammer51, Hush, D B Cooper, Southerntruck, Jon G, Phak1, 1955 1 Series, 1 invisible),
151
guests, and
11
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,092 Posts1,056,149 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 272 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 272 | Hello, I did a search with no results - anywhere. My original 1948 cigarette/cigar lighter no longer works, the heating coil looks good but the lighter won't stay pressed in to heat. I have a 6V system and all the aftermarket lighter replacements are 12V. I want to stay 6V, what do you all recommend I do? Thanks again!!!
1948 AD Pickup
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 123 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 123 | | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | Push it in & hold it. I bought a 6v cat's eye lighter to put in my '38 & it works differently from a 12v. There's no mechanism to hold it in until it heats. When I hold it in it works fine.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 272 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 272 | Thanks so much for the sources joe apple and tclederman, I'm on it! Hi Tiny, thanks for your input. Mine does work when I hold it in for several seconds. So, is that how a 6 volt lighter works normally? Push in, hold it and wait several seconds - no automatic 'pop out'? Here is a photo of my cig lighter it says Casco on it http://s23.photobucket.com/user/littlebuddytoo/media/48Chevy/Cig%20Lighter.jpg.html is it an original? This page (scroll down to 1/3 of the page) http://www.oldchevytrucks.com/blog/index.php/tag/1953/ says it is, I don't know but would like to know. Thank you all for your help!
Last edited by littlebuddie; 07/27/2015 2:18 AM.
1948 AD Pickup
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | Mine does work when I hold it in for several seconds. So, is that how a 6 volt lighter works normally? Push in, hold it and wait several seconds - no automatic 'pop out'? That's how mine works. There's no mechanical provision to hold it in on mine. Maybe that was an 'improvement' when 12v systems were introduced????
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 272 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 272 | You're probably right on that one Tiny. After some searching it turns out that my lighter is the original GM accessory that came with the truck. It looks like a mis-match because GM put the same lighter in many models of cars and trucks to save on production costs. Who knew? The vendors sell a replica that looks like it could be original, but is not. Theirs has a knob that looks like a headlight switch knob, nice try but not the real deal. So I am glad that everything is as it should be in regards to my cigarette lighter. Thanks for the reply!
Last edited by littlebuddie; 07/27/2015 8:10 PM.
1948 AD Pickup
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 | my recommendation is to quit smoking
| | |
| |