Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,104 Posts1,056,201 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2015 Posts: 17 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2015 Posts: 17 | So heres the options:
A 6.2L GM diesel, will be turboed
Or
A CSB 350, will also be turboed
So what do you guys think Diesel or Gas?
If something is two in one, then isn't it just one?
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,440 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,440 | Longer life but way more annual maintenance on the diesel. Gas is easier to maintain and HiPo parts are readily available. My choice would be gas just because I own a diesel and know the maintenance costs.
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
| | | | | Joined: May 2015 Posts: 236 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2015 Posts: 236 | Diesel, The Duramax is one tough workhorse. Maintenance is a breeze, just keep a clean fuel filter is the priority and you should have a good 250K+ mile engine with filter and oil changes. And if your not satisfied with stock power (more then enough stock) add-on options are a plenty. Just make sure the rest of the power train is able. I would stick with the mated Allison trans, and at least the minimum AAM 14bolt rear end.
Baking in the nice desert sun, breathing life back into a 48 3800 5 window. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,799 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,799 | What's the intended purpose for the finished rig? Dad had a favorite saying: "Diesels are like sex- - - -highly overrated and stinky!" If you're going to pull heavy loads and need a lot of low end torque, get a real Diesel like a Cummins inline six. For a V8, stick with gasoline. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 | So heres the options:
A 6.2L GM diesel, will be turboed
Or
A CSB 350, will also be turboed
So what do you guys think Diesel or Gas? The SBC has much more aftermarket support, and is easier to maintain and work on. The 6.2 was a good engine at the time, but there are much better engines out there. What is your planned usage of the truck? Longer life but way more annual maintenance on the diesel. Gas is easier to maintain and HiPo parts are readily available. My choice would be gas just because I own a diesel and know the maintenance costs. Completely agree. Diesel, The Duramax is one tough workhorse. Maintenance is a breeze, just keep a clean fuel filter is the priority and you should have a good 250K+ mile engine with filter and oil changes. And if your not satisfied with stock power (more then enough stock) add-on options are a plenty. Just make sure the rest of the power train is able. I would stick with the mated Allison trans, and at least the minimum AAM 14bolt rear end. The 6.2 isn't a Duramax, it's a Detroit Diesel engine that GM used in its pickups from 1982 to 1993, which was replaced by the 6.5L turbocharged diesel of the same family. The 6.2/6.5 used the same mounting and transmission bolting as the gas V8 to make it easy to install. I believe they used either a TH400 or a 4L80E, so no Allison transmission on it either. | | | | | Joined: May 2015 Posts: 236 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2015 Posts: 236 | AH I thought you were referring to the duramax my early morning dyslexia or maybe just one of those engines in ones life that you wish you never owned. I would through away the 6.2 diesel from my personal experience with one.. Had one noting but trouble and no real power. Seen people who swear by them and still run them (with again low maintenance just keep fuel filter clean).
If you get the good one nice, but if you get the bad one start pulling your hair.
Oh a little odd story related to the 6.2 I had, I traded after getting annoyed at hauling my 5th wheel up mountain grades. I traded it in 93 for a used Dodge Cummins truck. First week out climbing up the Mogollon Rim I got pull over on a 8 percent grade with a loaded 25ft fifth wheel doing 70. Needless to say the officer laughed and told me slow down he was in no way writing a ticket as he felt the judge would never believe it. I have pulled loaded trailers, and car haulers though some of the tough passes (grape vine, Grants Pass, Salt River, Eagles Nest and climbing in freezing to 120 deg plus. With Cummins, Powerstrokes, and Duramax all pulled just as nice as expected. I change oil, filter air, and filter fuel (that is maintenance). The 5th wheel is gone but been replaced with a 40 foot diesel pusher who does not know the difference between 70MPH flat or hill. And in next year the 350 will be pulled from my hunting Land Cruiser and replaced with a 4BT. As much as gas has made improvements diesel has been stepping right along. For my vintage cars and trucks I will keep period gas engines. But for work and play diesel is my prime. Current work horse 2014 1 ton Cummins, quiet as any gas truck I set besides, when loaded will out pull most all stock gas units off the line or up the hill and with over 20mpg highway.
But as original post only the 6.2 comes in question, one diesel I am not a fan of.
Last edited by 48 Yuma Rebel; 06/30/2015 3:38 AM.
Baking in the nice desert sun, breathing life back into a 48 3800 5 window. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | In the last five years they have snuck the price of diesel up above gas most of the time now. It used to be way down. But they know how many diesel pickups are out there now. They are over rated, unnecessary, some are slow up the hill and noisy and stinky. Gas motors are now getting great mileage and have more power than in the past.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: May 2015 Posts: 17 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2015 Posts: 17 | Well either way the engine I choose is free. The intended purpose varies depending on the engine we choose. You see the 6.2l would be a novelty item and the 350 would be a hotrod so it really depends. I personally like both just the same,however I think it'd be cooler to have a 6.2
Last edited by Brice Loy; 06/30/2015 4:54 AM.
If something is two in one, then isn't it just one?
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | I think the reason I don't like diesels is because I can't work on them. Or at least I don't know anything about them.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Jan 2015 Posts: 914 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2015 Posts: 914 | No time to write out why, go with gas. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,799 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,799 | I think the reason I don't like diesels is because I can't work on them. Or at least I don't know anything about them. Bart, basically, if you find a good gas engine mechanic and cut out half his brain, you'll have a really good diesel mechanic! They're about as primitive an engine as possible! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 | | | | | | Joined: May 2015 Posts: 17 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2015 Posts: 17 | Well we've decided to go with a Gen 2 CSB 350. i guess the 6.2l GM will have to wait its turn.
My ideal situation is to have three 47-53's one completely restored to factory, one a resto-mod and the other a resto-mod diesel.
If something is two in one, then isn't it just one?
| | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | If you do use that 6.2 in anything, make sure to check the heads out. They're known for cracking between the valves.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 123 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 123 | 353 Detroit would be a great swap, what are your plans with the truck? | | |
| |