The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (GDW, ndkid275, Gdads51, ‘37ChevyPU), 137 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,455
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 58
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 58
Hi all,
working on my 3800 47 panel w/original huck brakes and have a question. The front brake return spring was missing on one side and broken on the other. The broken one measures 7" x 5/8" but Jim Carter shows it should be 7 9/16" x 5/8".

Can anybody tell me what size I need? I'm guessing maybe the reason the spring broke was because it was too short?

Thanks in advance,
Les

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 206
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 206
I doubt a 1/16" will make much difference on a spring that long


Dave Chapman
The Hollister Road Company
713-937-0387
[email protected]
www.hollisterroad.com
www.thoroco.com
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 58
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 58
Hi Dave,
The difference on JC's web catalog is 9/16 not 1/16. Sorry if my description wasn't too clear.
I have ordered some that are specifically for the one ton front so I guess I'll see.
Thanks,
Les

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 206
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 206
I miss read that , yes it would make a big difference
When your shoes are pulled back against the cylinder push-rods what is the measurement hole to hole.


Dave Chapman
The Hollister Road Company
713-937-0387
[email protected]
www.hollisterroad.com
www.thoroco.com
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 58
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 58
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the reply. I got all my brake parts in and currently have all of the wheel cylinders out. I also received what are advertized to be 1 ton front springs and just by eyeballing it I think they will work. I hope to have it back together this weekend. I will measure the springs and report back if they did/didn't work and what the length is in case anybody else runs into this problem. I'm pretty sure the PO had the wrong springs on there but who knows?
Thanks,
Les

Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 58
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 58
In case anybody else is missing huck brake springs on their 3800 1 ton panel the front springs are 7"x 5/8 and the rear springs are 7-9/16" x 5/8"
Les

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
You can always check the size spring other vendors are selling for your truck to confirm if you are buying the right size spring. Jeffrey


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0