| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
9 members (wilbur53, KEVINSKI, Wayne67vert, Lostbuthaulinass, Otto Skorzeny, 1955 1 Series, Peggy M, tclederman, 1 invisible),
104
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,142 Posts1,056,478 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2015 Posts: 58 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2015 Posts: 58 | Hi all, working on my 3800 47 panel w/original huck brakes and have a question. The front brake return spring was missing on one side and broken on the other. The broken one measures 7" x 5/8" but Jim Carter shows it should be 7 9/16" x 5/8".
Can anybody tell me what size I need? I'm guessing maybe the reason the spring broke was because it was too short?
Thanks in advance, Les | | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 206 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 206 | I doubt a 1/16" will make much difference on a spring that long | | | | | Joined: Apr 2015 Posts: 58 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2015 Posts: 58 | Hi Dave, The difference on JC's web catalog is 9/16 not 1/16. Sorry if my description wasn't too clear. I have ordered some that are specifically for the one ton front so I guess I'll see. Thanks, Les | | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 206 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 206 | I miss read that , yes it would make a big difference When your shoes are pulled back against the cylinder push-rods what is the measurement hole to hole. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2015 Posts: 58 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2015 Posts: 58 | Hi Dave, Thanks for the reply. I got all my brake parts in and currently have all of the wheel cylinders out. I also received what are advertized to be 1 ton front springs and just by eyeballing it I think they will work. I hope to have it back together this weekend. I will measure the springs and report back if they did/didn't work and what the length is in case anybody else runs into this problem. I'm pretty sure the PO had the wrong springs on there but who knows? Thanks, Les | | | | | Joined: Apr 2015 Posts: 58 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2015 Posts: 58 | In case anybody else is missing huck brake springs on their 3800 1 ton panel the front springs are 7"x 5/8 and the rear springs are 7-9/16" x 5/8" Les | | | | | Joined: Jan 2015 Posts: 914 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2015 Posts: 914 | You can always check the size spring other vendors are selling for your truck to confirm if you are buying the right size spring. Jeffrey | | |
| |
| |