The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Gdads51, 2-Ton, fonz8261), 104 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,143
Posts1,056,495
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 126
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 126
Which leads on regulator do I link to accomplish this?

I understand I can also accomplish by touching power lead to generator. The generator has to leads, one on "top" that looks like it has a condenser hooked to it and one on the side. Which lead should I use.

Thanks!

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
Use a short jumper wire and connect the BAT terminal of the regulator to the ARM terminal momentarily, like 1/2 second or so. There will be a pretty healthy arc- - -that's normal, nothing to worry about. There is no need to disconnect any wiring, just run a surge of current through the armature to ground to establish "residual magnetism" in the generator of the right polarity.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 126
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 126
Thanks

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 797
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Online: Content
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 797
I am in the same boat as I need to bolt-in a rebuilt generator and polarize it. I just want to confirm what I have read here and what Brad has pictured, as I do not want to fry anything unnecessarily! Do I understand correctly that the short jumper wire runs from the battery (BAT) terminal of the regulator to the generator (GEN) terminal of the regulator via a short jumper wire? And hold the connection for just a moment as the surge/arc appears? Sounds simple enough if this is all that is involved. Thanks.

LUKE

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
Yep, you've got it. The shade tree method is to use a screwdriver blade to short the BAT and ARM (GEN) terminals together momentarily, but a jumper wire just looks a little more professional! Don't connect the BAT terminal to the FLD- - - -it won't really hurt anything, but it also won't polarize. Generators are pretty idiot-proof- - -no diodes or other solid state components to fry!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 797
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Online: Content
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 797
Jerry-

Thanks for putting me at ease.

On a related note, I am wondering about the original fasteners used with these generators. Mine currently are black, and one of the bolts uses a Marsden nut. Do you know if this is correct? I was thinking about going to a new set of stainless-steel fasteners, but want to maintain an original look. Your thoughts?

Thanks.

LUKE

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
I believe the Marsden-type locknut is original equipment, so the pivot bolts could be left loose enough for belt adjustments to be made without loosening the lower hardware, but it's been a LONG time since I've worked on anything with the factory setup still intact. If you use stainless fasteners be sure to lube them with something designed to prevent galling of the threads. Dry stainless bolts and nuts have a tendency to pressure-weld themselves together and be impossible to disassemble.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0