The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jon G, DadsFirstPickup, dt235sd, TUTS 59, RLB, Otto Skorzeny, 52Carl), 166 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,714
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1110119 06/25/2015 3:33 PM
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 68
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 68
Hello,
I have just acquired what is supposed to be a 1953 4100. There are lots of conflicting items but those may just be replacements over the years. Truck is in fair condition main areas are cab corners, floorboard, doors and damage in the drivers side cowl area. The wheels are three piece but there is rust blooming where the centers rivet to the rim. It this type of rusting repairable or is the wheel not someplace for repairs?

I've been reading the archives, up to page 195 so far
Chuck

53 4100

Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,608
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,608
Chuck
First, Welcome to the group. All the info on getting it back working can be had here.

Also since you are in the KC area, we expect you to be at the Stovebolt Reunion
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1108155#Post1108155

Midwest All Truck National Sept. 12. with or without a truck, be there and meet a lot of the group.
https://www.facebook.com/alltrucknats

Don


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Rust between the wheel center and rim is quite difficult to remove short of breaking the wheel apart which is not easy at all.
Look for some better used wheels is probably best option.
Some sand blasting and something like POR15 might do a reasonable job on what you have.
I know blasting and Powdercoating won't seal the existing rust in, as I have a few wheels like you describe, thankfully not very bad yet. I am working on a replacement set though.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 68
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 68
Thanks Don, I am planning to be there.

OK Grigg, I was wondering if this was a "as long as it isn't too severe" item or if it was like the widow makers "never for any reason". I'll start assessing just how bad it is
Chuck


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0