| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
97
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,128 Posts1,056,358 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 24 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: May 2001 Posts: 24 | Hello, I've searched this site for 2 days looking for a reference to the following but have not found anything - if this question has been answered b4 I would appreciate being pushed to the appropriate forum / articles. I have a 1950 Chev 1314 (Canadian model) that I purchased as an occasional driver 5 years ago and am just now getting the time to work on - upgrade / restore. Before me it's had at least 4 different owners - all of whom contributed to re-building the unit. As a result it's got a 235 ci engine (serial no GM 376576 - which I think makes it a 58-62 Chev) coupled to a 4 speed transmission that I cannot identify. First gear in this transmission is very low - which means it's rarely used. I was under the truck 2 days ago to replace the Brake master cylinder - which brought me face to face with the transmission - lo and behold it's got a PTO! (not hooked up to anything - but it looks like it'd be cable operated to engage / disengage.)The output shaft has a "brake drum" attached - this is in turn surrounded by a Brake mechanism which is not hooked up to anything - the truck has rear parking brakes operated by a foot pedal, which looks stock, and cables running from a mid-frame cross-shaft. I scrapped 50 years of accumulated grease and grime off the body of the transmission and here's what I found on the driver's side (reading from the top down) J 317 4 GM 5591953 On the output end under the "brake drum" the following is cast: D (or it could be "b") * 2 -so that'd read D*2 3845106 The housing containing the PTO is painted yellow - rest of transmission is bare metal - and has two, 3 inch long diamonds cast into it - there are some characters inside the diamonds but I cannot decipher them - too fine a casting. I swear that this transmission housing is cast from porous metal as it oozes lubricant from everywhere! I've had an oil pan under it since I've owned it and I NEVER park it in friends' driveways. I would really appreciate advice as to: - what kind of transmission this might be - is the PTO an option that I can remove - I'd need a plate to cover the opening - I'd like to remove it as it interferes with brake line routing for new dual chamber master cylinder that I'm installing - are parts available for the transmission ? - is there a sealant that I can "paint" the interior of the housing with? I'm not kidding when I say that it oozes lubricant.
thanks in advance for your patience - and hopefully answers | | | | | Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 2 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 2 | Sounds like you have the original type trans in this truck. They were used in the bigger trucks like the 3/4, 1, and 2 tons etc. That PTO is a bolt on. The transmissions all had the opening for with a cover for it from the factory. Some of the pto's had forward and reverse. It is not a "rare" item but is a little unusual to see one on a pickup. If reverse is over to the left it is the correct vintage for the pickup you have. | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 24 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: May 2001 Posts: 24 | Thanks for quick response !
yup - Reverse is to the left and back | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,897 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,897 | Prairie Sailer,, Welcome to the Stovebolt - It sounds like it is an SM-420 trans out of a 2-ton or larger truck with the park brake on the rear of the trans. The SM-420 trans were used from the 1/2 ton pickup and up into some of the lighter big trucks.
There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us. - - Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 394 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 394 | I just did a little researching on your 4 speed. The #3845106 is one number off that I am showing, my manual is showing #3845107.I don't know if this would be close enough or not? If so here are your trucks. 55-59 1 ton /4 speed.(2nd Ser.) 59 1 1/2 ton w/4 speed 60 Ser. 10 thru 40 w 4 SPD. 61-62 Ser. 20 thru40 w/4Spd.(exc.4 WD) (use with /8x21/2 inch prop. shaft brake. Also 55-59 3/4 ton w /4 spd. (2nd Ser.) :p | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 1,904 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2001 Posts: 1,904 | 1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet 34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
| | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 24 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: May 2001 Posts: 24 | Thanks to all for timely and helpful responses. I appreciate the help. | | |
| |
| |