The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (BC59, 46truck, Ponchogl, Shade Baby, Hotrod Lincoln, Woodcmiami, 1 invisible), 112 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,121
Posts1,056,328
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 43
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 43
I have been smelling gas in the cab of the truck ever since the first time I stopped and filled the truck since getting it running. The fact that the carb leaked like a waterfall at that point led my mind to keep believing that the gas smell was always coming from the carb.

Apparently, I am a slow learner. After cranking down the screws on the carb and doing everything to stop this supposed carb leak, I would check under the hood when I smelled gas and was mistified at how such a small amount of gas could be so strong smelling in the cab.

Well, today I finally pulled my head out of wherever it was and found out that the rubber hose in the fuel filler neck was is cracked and leaking, which of course explains why I had such a strong smell in the cab the first time I filled the thing!

So, the question is, how do I go about replacing the two pieces of rubber hose at the fuel filler neck? Cutting them off will be relatively easy but getting the new ones on is confusing me. Help would be appreciated.I did a bit of searching on the forum and have not found anything relating to this.

Thanks.

Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 233
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 233
remove/loosen clamps, pull outward and remove hoses. Install new hoses, shove on and tighten clamps. If you want to remove the tube, it comes out from the inside.


1953 Chevy 3100
261 and SM420
53Chevy 3100
1953 Mack Firetruck
1972 Porsche 911
1986 Honda Goldwing
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 43
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 43
Interesting. It just didn't look like that would work but I will give it a go tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks!

Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 43
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 43
Well, that was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. Took the two old parts out which was a bit of a pain but managed to go get a couple of new pieces for about $6. Put them back in, in about 10 minutes and now I get to enjoy driving without the strong odor of gas and the fear of being a flaming stovebolt occupant!

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Did you get the rubber from a vendor or from your FLAPS???

dg


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
At $6 I would guess FLAPS!


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
Nice truck, and I like the story that goes with it. Welcome to Stovebolt. Steve


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0