The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (stlcardinalsguy, Otto Skorzeny), 138 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,100
Posts1,056,510
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
1946 2 ton truck.

How do you remove the horn button?

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
Wish I knew your name, makes it a much friendlier site when we know who we are talking to.dance
Anyway this should be of help to you.
The cap unscrews.
1946 Horn rremoval
Harold
drive


Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
Originally Posted by Harold46
Wish I knew your name, makes it a much friendlier site when we know who we are talking to.dance
Anyway this should be of help to you.
The cap unscrews.
1946 Horn rremoval
Harold
drive

Harold, the cap unscrews but will not lift out of the center of the steering wheel, Jeffrey.

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
How does the die cast cap retainer come out?

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 888
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 888
You have to remove the nut on the steering wheel and pull off wheel to get to retainer. Have fun and good luck....1000th post.....
Dan

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
Originally Posted by Chev4t6
You have to remove the nut on the steering wheel and pull off wheel to get to retainer. Have fun and good luck....1000th post.....
Dan

On modern cars you remove horn pad screws from the rear and the horn pad comes off. You then remove a safety clip then the nut. Then you use a puller.

All I see is on the 1946 is a horn button that can not be removed from the front of the steering wheel and the retainer on the steering column has 3 prongs that go into the steering wheel from the backside.

I need to know the steps to get to the nut to remove the steering wheel.

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
Jeffrey,
Quote
I need to know the steps to get to the nut to remove the steering wheel.
Did you look at all the photos I attached in my post?
It shows in detail how everything is assembled. If you cannot unscrew the button you may have to damage it to gain access. The button is available as well as all the pieces that make up the assembly.
Harold


Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
Originally Posted by Harold46
Jeffrey,
Did you look at all the photos I attached in my post?
It shows in detail how everything is assembled. If you cannot unscrew the button you may have to damage it to gain access. The button is available as well as all the pieces that make up the assembly.
Harold

Yes Harold I saw the photos. I am able to unscrew the button though after that the button will still not come out of the steering wheel.

And, I am confused because you said in a earlier post that the button will not come out from the front of the steering wheel.

I always try to avoid breaking things.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
With the caveat that I've not taken one off myself it appears from looking at Harold's pics that the fit of the button to the brass "saucer" is snug so if the lip of the button has been deformed any it may be rubbing on the saucer, preventing it from coming off easily. If that's the case you may have to get creative in making a thin but strong tool of some kind to slide between the button & steering wheel cup to hook the edge of the button & pull it off. Unless you go postal I doubt you'll break anything.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
Quote
And, I am confused because you said in a earlier post that the button will not come out from the front of the steering wheel.

Jeffery,
I never said that! The button only comes off from the front.
1. Unscrew button
2. Remove remaining parts, spring clip, brass saucer and
spring as per photos previously sent.
3. Remove steering wheel nut.
4. Remove steering wheel and remaining part (if you need to).

Tiny made a good suggestion, give that a try.
When I put mine back together I put a little no-seize on the thread of the horn button.
Harold


Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
Between doing other things today I took a moment and tried unscrewing the horn button again. It appear to loosen up a bit.

Enough so I was able to then slip a thin blade screwdriver under the horn button and see the thin lock ring on the brass cap under the button. With a machinist pick I removed the ring and got the horn button out.

Though the metal piece directly beneath the horn button will not separate from the button.

That is far as I could go because I had to go back to doing other things.

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
Quote
I removed the ring and got the horn button out.
Though the metal piece directly beneath the horn button will not separate from the button.
Are you refering to the Brass Saucer as shown in one of my photo's? ohwell
The Brass Saucer is held in by the 3 prong part. You said you removed the retaining ring from the 3 prong piece, you need to slightly compress the 3 prongs enough to slip the Brass Saucer out.
You are almost there!!!
Harold
smile


Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
Yes the brass saucer.

Since then I have removed the nut holding the steering wheel in place and marked the steering wheel to steering shaft so the wheel goes back on in the same position. Though I have not had the time to pull off the steering wheel.

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
Quote
Though I have not had the time to pull off the steering wheel.
You will probably need a Steering Wheel Puller available at any parts store. dance
Harold


Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
I have a puller.

Though when waiting for parts I start on another repair. Then when part comes in I go back to the previous repair.

This way stops in doing repairs gets eliminated or greatly reduced.

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 176
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 176
If it makes you feel any better, my horn button didn't come out the way it was intended either. I had to fiddle with it to get it out as well. Lots of penetrant to help but things were just stuck. After awhile I was able to pick it apart. I'm sure I'll need to replace something.
Nick.

Last edited by cletis; 06/20/2015 3:33 PM. Reason: language
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
Nick, we will not be the last. We are lucky that there are forums and the people willing to help.

Though I miss my dad for many reasons. He was a mechanic from before the war.

Anyway I still have not put the puller to the steering wheel.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0