The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (Nick in Manitou, Gray_Ghost, Shade Baby, J Lucas, TUTS 59, Bill Hanlon, papas52, 2 invisible), 120 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,119
Posts1,056,313
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 182
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 182
Weren't the tank to pump lines on '46 pick-ups with a 216 engines originally 1/4" and the pump to carb lines 5/16"? For some reason on the truck I'm working on they are both 5/16".

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
I have a 1946 2 ton with a 216. I'll check and let you know. Though I would not be bothered that everything is 5/16" now.

Unless you want a 100 point truck.

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 182
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 182
Thanks.

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
Just so happened that yesterday I did away with the fuel shut off valve because the new one from Jim Carter's had to be adapted because it had 2 male ends.

Where the original valve had a male end to go into the tank and a female end for the fuel hose to fuel pump line. So I had to buy a double female adapter to connect the fuel hose threaded fitting.

After all that the shut off valve leaked.

Then I ordered a shut off valve and line from Bow Tie Bits. The valve would not fit into the tank and the hose would not fit onto the fuel pump line. I just returned it all back to them.

Down to the old time parts store and I bought two one piece line fittings with a 5/16" x 1" tube end, one with a male thread for the tank and the other female for the steel line and a length of new 5/16" in dia fuel hose.

So this morning I went and measured the steel fuel lines. The outside diameter is .316"

5/16" = .3125"

This truck has 37,000 original miles and was garage kept. With the patina consistent I do not think any of the fuel line were ever changed.

Last edited by 32vld; 06/14/2015 3:45 PM. Reason: error I forgot lines measured by ouside diameter
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,806
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,806
Tubing is measured by OD, so you have 5/16" steel line. It should be available in various lengths at any parts store, with male inverted flare fittings installed on both ends. Use male pipe thread to female inverted flare adapters at the tank and the fuel pump to adapt the line to the existing plumbing. If you have to cut and flare the line to accommodate an oddball length, be sure to do a double flare- - - -steel lines crack if you attempt a simple single flare on them.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
Fuel lines are sold by the outside diameter so your truck calls for 5/16" lines and hoses.

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 182
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 182
What were the lines originally? I'm pretty sure the '46 216 tank to pump line was 1/4" and the pump to carb line was 5/16" as I previously mentioned, but I need a need a confirmation of this as this truck had 5/16" tubing used for both lines. I know the '41 trucks had 1/4" tank to pump lines and I'm pretty sure the '46 was the same, wasn't it? The little flex hose (from the parts suppliers) from the tank valve has an adapter on one end to screw into the flare fitting for 1/4" tubing. That's another indicator the line should be 1/4" and not 5/16".

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
Originally Posted by vegiguy
What were the lines originally? I'm pretty sure the '46 216 tank to pump line was 1/4" and the pump to carb line was 5/16" as I previously mentioned, but I need a need a confirmation of this as this truck had 5/16" tubing used for both lines. I know the '41 trucks had 1/4" tank to pump lines and I'm pretty sure the '46 was the same, wasn't it? The little flex hose (from the parts suppliers) from the tank valve has an adapter on one end to screw into the flare fitting for 1/4" tubing. That's another indicator the line should be 1/4" and not 5/16".

My son's 1946 2 ton with a 216 has 37,000 original miles and was garage kept it's entire life.

The patina on all the fuel lines matches which to me proves that they are original and never were changed.

The parts man, born in 1943, helping out in his dads auto parts store since he was 12 and is still there today.

When just this past week I went to buy the fuel hose between the tank and the fuel pump steel line I asked him for a rubber fuel hose. He did not look up the size, he instantly said they take 5/16" hose, how long do you want the hose.

Then I saw your post. So I measured the steel fuel lines from between the tank rubber hose to the fuel pump. Then the steel line from the fuel pump to the fuel filter. There is no line between the filter and the carb because the filter directly attaches to the carburetor.

All the steel lines were measured with a micrometer.

All the steel lines are 5/16".

It does not make sense to put in a 1/4" line before the fuel pump and a 5/16" line after the pump. 5/16 can not flow more then what the 1/4 is supplying it.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0