The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Steelonsteel, Shade Baby, cmayna, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny), 105 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1107204 06/08/2015 10:27 PM
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
Changing out my current hoses and looking for feedback on silicone hose. Had some on a police car I once owned and they seemed to hold up well. Would like to use on my truck to eliminate not having to change them again. Radiator hoses are easy to change but I worry about damage to the heater core when I change the rubber hoses every couple of years.


Ed
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Only place I've ever seen Silicone hose was surgical hose.
But your concern with changing the hoses on the heater core of
Ranco valve are well founded. Had to change the hoses on my '50
last month and they were virtually 'vulcanized' to the copper.
I don't use any sealer on my hoses so it's just rubber on copper.
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/160352218
Ya gotta be real careful cuz that thin copper bends so easy.
dg


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
Gates has silicone radiator and heater hoses.

Just click on the heater hose and cooling hose link.

http://www.gates.com/products/automotive/passenger-car-and-light-truck/cooling-system

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Tks vid, never saw that before, but I'll add that to my bag of
tricks. Bet it wouldn't glue itself to the nipples, only
problem is that dang blue color.

dg


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
When I install new hoses I always use Silglide on the hose before I slide it on. I have sound that if I have to remove it it comes off and it helps to seal the hose to the fitting.

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
After seeing Denny's picture maybe I'll just wait until the hose starts to leak before changing. Worst case I can bypass the heater if needed during repair.


Ed
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 434
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 434
I have silicone hoses on my race car and they have stood up to the heat of the turbo and I would use them again. Just a data point...


R-Bo

1959 Apache 1/2 ton Big Window, Short bed Fleetside (under reconstruction)
1966 GMC 305V6 in the family
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
We have been using Purosil hose for 25 years.

http://www.purosil.com/

It lasts forever, completely eliminates cold water drip and doesn't swell like ordinary hose. The picture Denny posted was a typical sight before silicon hose. I'm glad those days are behind me. Silicon hose takes special wrap around clamps. I will never use anything but silicon hose on any coolant applications. It is not oil resistant and can't be used for oil. We use silicon hose for the charge air systems. If a hose begins to bulge, we know we have a turbo passing oil. Anyone who has had trouble with silicon hose probably bought some kind of Chinese knock off.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Yep, no doubt that's a permanent or at least a long term
solution. But if the objective is to keep the vehicle looking
as original as possible, then blue heater hose simply doesn't
cut it. If they can make them blue in or red, why can't someone
make them in black???
Although it wasn't silicone, red heater hose has been around
as long as I have, and much longer. In fact I believe I've
seen red hose originally used on some of the very first autos.
But on a mid century GM vehicle......taint the best look and
blue.....even worse.
I haven't spent a week searching the web for black silicone
heater hose, but if someone did make it, I'd switch without
hesitation. The hose color just has to be period correct for
me to accept it, red or blue would simply stand out like a
sore thumb.
As far as using a silicone grease, I'm sure that would
probably help with the bonding issue....if you could keep the
hose clamped well enough that it wouldn't blow off the
fitting. Back when I was a broke kid and couldn't afford to
use new rubber when servicing my cooling system, I often used
Permatex #2, which also was quite slippery till it set up a
bit, but it gave old radiator hoses a second life.


Just an up date: I did take a quick look and googled black
silicon heater hose and it is out there. Appears that it's
has a wet look though. Half way there, but still not very
original looking:
http://www.hps-siliconehoses.com/?gclid=CN76oJ3GlsYCFQeRaQodKLcAAA

dg

Last edited by Denny Graham; 06/17/2015 11:49 AM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
Denny, I am going to need hoses soon, The old ones were...red. I have not checked yet, but I would hope BLACK rubber is still available? Steve

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
These guys have black silicone hose. I have not bought heater hose from them, but I have bought several dozen of the 30° bend 2" hose which is used on Internationals with a Cummins. The quality on their 2" is good. I have some that has been in daily use for 5 years. I would assume their heater hose is fine too.

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/elec...inforced-silicone-heater-hose-p-640.html

If you insist on the old timy looking black, I think Dayco still makes it.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0