| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
172
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,182 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 | A friend of mine in Europe has a 51 GMC with a 3 speed with worn synchros. His synchro is the one with the 2 lugs on it. I have several with the later 4 lugs. It seems to me that two of the lugs can be ground off and make the later ones work. I also remember updating some earlier transmissions 50 years ago, but I don't remember what all had to be replaced to go to the 4 lug synchdro. Has anyone worked on a pre 53 3 speed lately. I think they all had worn out synchros if they had any miles at all. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 4,491 Moderator, Electrical Bay | | Moderator, Electrical Bay Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 4,491 | I think you may be right in the grinding off idea. I recall there was a way to make them work, but it was 1980 the last time I had one of these apart... Jon
~ Jon 1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | Grinding the two unnecessary lugs is not a problem. If you have not read my Blog post on synchro problems, I think it would be a good idea.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 | Thanks for the link. I really don't have much experience with the old SM318. Our pickups back in those days all had a SM420 and I ran T85, T86 and T89 BW behind my Y-Blocks and they are synchronized more like the later Saginaw. Lots of my friends had SM318 and I helped them with them, but its still not like when you work on your own stuff and have to fork out the money at the end of the day. I am hoping to take the required parts over next time I go to Europe. He was thinking of sending the whole box, but that would be expensive. When I go first class, I can check 70 lb. bags, but I'm not sure if a SM318 in a duffel bag would fall under that. | | |
| |
| |