The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (delwrench, Southerntruck, cmayna, dt235sd), 123 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,490
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#110626 01/05/2004 11:17 PM
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 113
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 113
My 54 has about three coats of paint. The first was black, then ugly blue metal flake, then sloppy black again. The last black is at least shiny, but has lots of runs...real amature stuff. I also have found bondo in a few spots on fenders, etc. I'm in no real hurry to tear into the body work now since I'm still on mechanical stuff. But when I'm ready I'll be ready. So is it quicker and cheaper to grind it off myself or to have the fenders and bed dip-stripped? What would a shop charge to dip a fender?


Bruce (I love My Truck) Miller

1954 5 Window 3100 Chevy Pickup - Driver
1929 **** Model A Pickup - Restoration
#110627 01/09/2004 6:41 PM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 166
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 166
Bruce, I had my 37 Chevy pickup cab, doors, inner door panels and grill shell/surround dipped and epoxy primed in Oct 2003. The total cost, including epoxy priming was $1230.00. I had my fenders blasted several months prior to that and I am much happier with the chemical dipping. Everything came back clean and no sand residue. My doors were $70.00 each for dipping and I think the fenders would have been $75.00 each. I used Nor-Cal stripping in Northern California as it is only 3 hrs from my house. Hope this helps. Charles


1937 Chevy pickup
In the Gallery
1952 MGTD
#110628 01/09/2004 11:08 PM
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 113
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 113
I guess my prioir experience with sandblasting was that there waqs still a good amount of prep to get the parts smmothed and ready for paint. Does the chemical dip speed up the paint pre process??


Bruce (I love My Truck) Miller

1954 5 Window 3100 Chevy Pickup - Driver
1929 **** Model A Pickup - Restoration
#110629 01/10/2004 8:10 AM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 10
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 10
I do not like chemical dip for sheetmetal with seams or foldovers. The chemical is very difficult to flush out, and it often weeps up to years later. For sheetmetal that has no folds it works fine.

#110630 01/17/2004 10:25 PM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 331
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 331
I have heard the same thing as Brian. I was also told that some shops will put the parts in a oven at I think around 140 deg. for 24 hours to eliminate this problem. I have had many flat panel parts dipped and found it to do a wonderful job. The trick is to have it phosphate dipped after stipping and then primmed as soon as possible. The problem is with leaving the phosphate to long is it is like it crysalizes and makes the metal rough. I have taken some of my panels to be dipped the other day and have started to sand the cab and doors down to bare metal (boy do I hate sanding) I have been lucky to know the owners of the shop and will be scuffing the parts with 120 grit and painting the panels with epoxy primer as soon as it comes out of the tanks eliminating the cost of the phosphate prosses. Hope this helps you in your decission


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0