| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,130 Posts1,056,714 Members48,454 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 319 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 319 | I had to cut the old bed out with a Sawsall and grinder. Rusted bolts, rotten oak, and stainless strips that aren't my style. I want to go pine and painted steel. All of that to say disassembly didn't give me guidance for what I need to do now.
I've been reading on the Mar-K site and will probably go with spar varnish. But first I need to order a kit - rails & pine boards. I figure pre-drilled to reduce the chances I screw something up. Is there a preferred vendor?
Basically, I'm coming at this as a total newbie and don't even know what comes first. Bed rails bolted in place across the frame? Then...?
If someone would be so kind as to put together a numbered list of the steps in chronological order I'd sure appreciate it. And any other warnings or hints.
Note: I've done some searching here and will do more, but so far I'm not seeing a systematic presentation. And haven't seen one on the net either.
A VW guy trying his hand at a '59 LB fs. Lots to learn, but it's about the journey.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 888 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 888 | Pathway, I ordered my bed from Mar-K. Their service, packaging and customer service was fantastic. With their order they sent me assembly instructions. You do however have to figure some of the assembly out relative to your truck. Squaring up your bed should be first. Figure where your cross members go. What size blocks if needed for bed height. Board size and location. Location of bed strips, bolts and offset washers if used. Mar-K's tips here. I don't know if this is what you read or not. There is a lot of info here. I just did my 4t6 over the winter however still not complete. Thread on my bed here. Hope this helps. Have fun and good luck. Dan | | | | | Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 319 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 319 | Thanks, Dan. Yes, I'd been through Mar-K's site and had a conversation with them this morning to get some specific questions answered. Good people.
I've ordered pads for my cross members and will install when they arrive. After talking to Mar-K this morning the plan is to set the bed on the frame and then add the wood & rails. I don't have a way to set the fully assembled bed on the frame (too heavy for 2 people) and they say I can put in the wood after the bed is in place.
I read about their assembly instructions after posting my questions, so I'm guessing that doc will be a big help.
A VW guy trying his hand at a '59 LB fs. Lots to learn, but it's about the journey.
| | |
| |
| |