| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
90
guests, and
6
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,141 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 194 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 194 | Is there any way to replace the door hold open springs witnout removing the hinge pin? My hinge pins are in very good condition, I hate to remove them just to replace the springs, but I don't see any other way to do it. If there is a way to do this without removing the hinge pins I would sure like to hear about it.
How tough is it to temove the pins? Can I just grind off the end and pound them out?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks | | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 587 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 587 | I may be wrong, but I believe you have to remove the pin to put in new springs. A 50 year old truck probably needs new pins anyway, mine certainly did. I find the best way is to drill the old pins out with a drill press. If you use a letter "R" drill bit, you will have a perfect size hole for the replacement hinge pins. Be sure to use a drill press to get the hole straight, then reassemble with the new springs, and pound in the new pins, they will stick out the other side, just grind that end off. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 175 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 175 | With some penetrating oil (PB Blaster) and a little heat, mine tapped right out. They do have to be removed to replace the springs. Have fun. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 203 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 203 | Brian, thanks for the advice on the "R" drillbit ... I got the kits but no instructions at all. I have all my hinges off the doors would life be a little better if I put one end on the door or just stick them in a vice? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 203 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 203 | TC - thanks for the headsup on the classic truck shop. What a lot of great information ... | | | | | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 194 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 194 | Thanks everyone for all the information. Looks like I just need to jump in and get the work done. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 194 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 194 | Actually a pretty simple job. One hinge pin came out with a punch and hammer. The other one moved about 1/16" before it refused to move anymore. I had to drill that pin down about 5/16" and then it pounded out rather easily.
I used a 5/16" bit to drill out the old pin, a 11/32" bit to drill out for the new pin and a 27/64" bit to drill out for the bronze bushings. I did have to spot weld the spacers back on the brackets, they broke off with all the pounding.
Everything went back together with the hold open springs very nicely. The pins were a good snug fit. I had to use a small hammer to tap the pins through the hinges, cut the other end of the pin off leaving about 3/16" through exposed and used a center punch to peen the cut off end.
Took about three hours to do both top hinges and most of that was spent figuring out what size drill bits to use.
Thanks for all the help, the link was invaluable. I would have posted pictures of the process, but i don't have a clue how to post a photo. | | |
| |
| |