The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (1955 1 Series, 3800GUY, Shade Baby, TooMany2count, Bluesky54), 131 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,274
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#110485 12/15/2002 1:27 AM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 481
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 481
I bought 2 replacement doors for my 46 1/2 ton because mine are rusted out at the bottoms. I installed them on the truck today and they are not even close to fitting, I can't even close the doors. My old doors fit and closed very well.
My thought is to remove my old door hinges and install them on the new doors. Any thoughts or experience? :rolleyes:

#110486 12/17/2002 6:00 PM
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
Rusty46:
IF you can get the hinges off that may be worth trying, but those hinges are not going to be easy to remove. How far are the doors off? There is a certain amount of adjustment you can make to the alignment with the door on the cab. The 46 GMC shop manual has a pretty good explaination. (there is nothing about this in the Chevy shop manual). If you need more info on adjusting the doors per the GMC manual let me know.

Good Luck
George

#110487 12/18/2002 6:43 PM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 481
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 481
Hi 46forme, thanks for the reply.
I was able to remove and exchange the door hinges
but it didn't help. I did not see any provision for adjustment. The doors are at least 1/8 inch out of alignment. I have not attempted to remove the cab hinges as yet. I would appreciate any
information you have on door adjustment. My Chevrolet shop manual, as you said, has no info on adjustment. Thanks for the help George.

Regards, John

#110488 12/18/2002 8:22 PM
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
Rusty46;

The information in the GMC manual is about 2 pages long. I don't have the facilities to post them here. If you want you can email me directly and we can make arrangements to get them to you either by snail-mail or fax.

Basically depending on which way the door needs to move you would put a block in the door jam at either the upper or lower hinge and push the door closed. This actually springs the hinge and moves the door into alignment. There is more involved than this but you get the idea. It sounds scary to be doing this but it works. The manual explains the whole process.

George

#110489 12/26/2002 5:51 PM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 481
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 481
46forme
I have not been able to contact you by e-mail.
I would very much appreciate a copy of the information you have regarding 46 GMC door adjustments.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0