The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Wally / Montana, Guitplayer, Jon G), 126 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,717
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1095895 04/07/2015 1:25 AM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
Ready to install my passenger door after installing new door weather stripping and rebuilt hinges. Felt it was too much work welding up a fancy door dolly for a floor jack application, when I have a cherry picker, sitting there, lonely, nothing to do.

http://cmaynard.com/Truck/TruckDoorDollyA.JPG

http://cmaynard.com/Truck/TruckDoorDollyB.JPG

http://cmaynard.com/Truck/TruckDoorDollyC.JPG



Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Nice

I remember damaging my paint fighting by myself



Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 123
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 123
Good idea! I like it!


Chuck

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
A few Harleys and '76 Triumph Bonneville

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
Jeez, I wish I had a cherry picker laying around... I could of saved myself from welding up a door dolly for my floor jack!

It looks like you could even open and close the door for testing if the hooks were on the exterior.
I like it.


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
U
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
U Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
Thanks Craig- That'll be clutch when the time comes!

Brad

Last edited by Uncle Brad; 04/07/2015 10:04 PM. Reason: changed name

Wrench Fetcher, PhD
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
I did have to open up the hooks a little with heat to allow the ends to slide up into the glass channel without having the loops touch the door's surface. CASO, I think the hooks would interfere with the cab if you attempted to close the door while being supported. Maybe not? Maybe so?


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
It 'appeared' to me it's doable with a little more Hook modification. It sure would speed up the process. ( if time was a factor)


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
I have the 1 ton HF gantry crane... same principal... yeah.. helps out a TON (pun!)

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Good idea Craig, never would have thought of that, I did mine a
few times balancing them on the floor jack, balanced them once
on my "big old wife", the floor jack was more cooperative!

Expanding on that idea, since I'm planning on working on many
more doors for AD trucks, I thought I'd come up with something
a bit more permanent. A guy never has enough tools you know:
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/159697608

DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 104
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 104
I ended up building a poor man or redneck lifting cradle for my doors on the 52. Just used some leftover lumber; 2x6 and 2x4s along with four pieces of rebar I inserted in holes I drilled in the top 2x6 plate. I covered the rebar with some leftover foam pipe insulation and put a chunk of foam on the top of the 2x6 board on the top. I bolted the contraption to my floor jack. Believe it or not it worked pretty good. It isn't nice like the metal one shown on one of the tech tips but it was cheap and something I could do without a bunch of metalworking equipment. I had also thought about using the cherry picker but the room between my bench and the right door was limited.

Steve


52 6400
50 3600
69 Ford LTD
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Well thanks to Craig for striking the spark about using a cherry picker to hang the
doors, I made up my version of a dedicated sling for the one fisted bulky-door
handling situation.
Three bucks worth of 22ga. 12x12 and a few minutes in the
shop of chopping and filing and here it is:
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/159879959/large
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Denny Graham; 04/27/2015 5:14 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 888
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 888
Thanks for the tip all...........looks as if we all can use/make....
Dan

Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872

$3 worth of steel, a hundred for the dies to stamp the holes and a few grand for the press to do the stamping.

Even a 1 ton arbor press is gonna be over $100. So $3 in steel, $hundreds in tooling.

$6 nylon strap sounds like a good deal in comparison.


Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
From previous post
"$3 worth of steel, a hundred for the dies to stamp the holes and a few grand for the press to do the stamping.

Even a 1 ton arbor press is gonna be over $100. So $3 in steel, $hundreds in tooling.

$6 nylon strap sounds like a good deal in comparison."



ASSuming one is limited in their creative abilities to the point that making a hole in a $3 piece of steel is only possible by using a press and die, I guess I see your point.

Why a drill press, hole saw and a little file/die grinder work or a hand drill and a jig saw with a metal blade or even a plasma torch are not viable options that occur to you as less costly options... I do not know.


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Ya orta know by now CASO, certain people just have a knack for
turning a thread negative or throwing a wrench in the works
of every project.
I've asked politely for those certain people not to comment to
anything that I post but I guess it's fallen on deaf ears.
Your quite correct, anyone with the simplest of tools could do
the same thing that I did, a hole saw, file, couple of clamps,
some scrap iron and a bench for a break and you could make
the same tool.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
U
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
U Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
I'm going to make one tonight with tools I dig out of the dumpster.

Out of metal scraps I find on the side of the road.

Just to spite the negative comments. (Which are getting old with incorrect haiku)

I like it a lot Denny & I ESPECIALLY like that you shared the plan/design/drawing picture. As Craig did, and Steve's material list, et cetera...Good stuff, thx all. I may have my disassembled truck back to me in pieces & freshly painted here in the next couple of weeks- never had to deal with being careful with the parts before. All these foam, rubber, & insulation additions to ideas are starting to make sense.

Brad



Wrench Fetcher, PhD
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
Brad... are you insinuating I do due do Haiku? headscratch dang
Still, I hope that old road sign you find isn't resentful of your using other castaways in new ways and your able to save face (of fresh paint) on your reclaimed parts shake


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
U
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
U Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
Nah, caso- I was in agreement with you. The three line prose just reminded me of it (haiku); I don't even know if it is three lines or not. I didn't see any easy picking roadside finds on the way home either.

Charlie & his text topic guillotine will be here shortly, lol!

Brad


Wrench Fetcher, PhD
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,298
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Online: Content
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,298
A dairy farmer, part-time preacher always said about people who were obtuse, cantankerous, or otherwise annoying, "We need people like him" as well as, "Bless his heart." I never asked him to elaborate. I figured that he was either employing discrete sarcasm, or that people like that make the rest of us feel better about ourselves, in that WE are not like that.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
'Bless his heart' Carl, what ever that means.

dg


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Urban Dictionary (even though this is a common Southern or Bible Belt expression):

bless your heart : bless his heart : bless her heart

"A term used prior to ridiculing, insulting the sensibilities of, or pointing out the shortcomings of someone. Used to soften the blow of a statement, and can render nearly any comment, no matter how brash or distasteful, socially acceptable."

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
C
ODSS President
ODSS President
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
So great to see good solutions, ALL of them, from the simple to the complex. The concept is called brainstorming, throwing a lot of ideas out there...from the ridiculous to the sublime. What a waste of time to openly state, "This is not for me!" Oh yeah, "Bless ALL our hearts!"


~ Cosmo
1949 Chevy Half Ton
Rocinante, like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities.
"...my good horse Rocinante, mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." ...Eric Hoffer


Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Or, stated as a haiku:

5 \
7 > counted as syllables
5 /

bless our helpful hearts
it seems like we do mean well
most posts are friendly

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Now can we finally hang that darn door!!!!!


dg


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,084
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,084
Craig, thanks for posting that simple reminder of using what we've got. Keep those good ideas coming...nice shop by the way.


Allen
Yeah, well, that's just like, you know , your opinion, man - The Dude

1948 Chevy 3600 - goal Original restoration, Current Stage 1 - Disassembly and getting body in primer
1954 GMC 3100 goal Hot Rod, Current Stage 1 - Get body in primer
1931 Ford Model A 5 window Coupe - Old Skool Hot Rod
1945 Ford 2N Tractor - Runs great
1964 Ford 2000 Tractor - Use it every week
1974 Stingray Corvette

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Well I put the 'sling' to work aligning the doors today. Works great:
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/160192883

Makes aligning the beltline easy:
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/160192936

dg

Last edited by Denny Graham; 05/26/2015 2:53 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 301
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 301
I hung my doors the old fashioned way. I picked them up, slid them on the hinges. But before I did that..... When I was doing the body work and test fitting everything before I painted and I had the doors lined up I drilled a few 1/8" holes through the door and the hinge straps. Then inserted cotter pins and removed the bolts. When I was ready I held the door by hand, pulled the pins and slid the door off the hinges. When I installed them I attached a thick blanket to the front of the door jamb to keep the door from sliding into it, picked the door up, slid it on the hinges and put the cotter pins back in. It automatically lines the door back up to where I had originally fit it. Then I put the bolts in.


1949 Chevy 3600
1975 W-25 Hurst Olds
1970 GMC 1/2 ton Fleetside
2010 Chevy Silverado
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
And hope the guy that adjusted the doors the time before you got it right.

dg


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
It's So BIG Denny!
I couldn't help but laugh when I saw it man.
I think we need to come up with something more between your engine hoist and a IV stand.
Closer to the IV stand...
that fits in the garage...

(just messing with ya)


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
You do it your way, I'll do it mine.
I've been accused of looking for the easy way out many times,
rather than fumbling around and taking the hard way of doing a
job. Depends on where you stand I suppose. One can look at it a
couple different ways, as either I'm lazy or I'm wise. The easy
way always seems the wise way to approach a problem in my mind.
Besides, I can control my engine hoist easier than I can
control my "big old wife", that third hand make the job of
adjusting the door a pleasure instead of a pain.
Sorry if you don't have room for an engine hoist, maybe you
need a bigger garage if you'r gonna work on your own Stovebolt?

dg

Last edited by Denny Graham; 05/28/2015 3:16 AM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
But Denny.... It's NOT IN the garage nono

I still like your hanger piece a lotchug and I get using the tools you have on hand, but... Its So BIG! eeeek
I guess I just want to see a hanging set up like your's thats as small a footprint like my floor jack dang I guess it's off to the medical supply store for a couple IV bag stands... wave


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
Bottom line is,use the tools you have available.
Denny is showing his way,he's fortunate to have some really nice equipment and tools.
Anybody can set a door with some patience.


Tim


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
D
Gas Pumper
Gas Pumper
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
But its so fun messing with Denny! Actually, his solution is pretty decent. You could use two smaller ones too. What I like about this site is, we can mess with our friends here without them getting all BENT about it, AND we learn new things along the way!


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Riiight. been wrestling with those doors by hand or with a jack
or with my wife or daughter before and when I saw Craig's idea
about using your cherry picker I thought he'd stumbled on the
right solution, and it was. Made a super easy one man job of
this task, doors close nice and easy now and line up and it
only took a few minutes.
Gotta go, can't play any more, Mom's callin' me in for supper.
dg


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
D
Gas Pumper
Gas Pumper
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
Yep. That was THE solution for sure.


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0