The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ridgeback, Otto Skorzeny, 39Master85, 1955 1 Series, Hanks custodian), 80 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,286
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#110225 03/11/2004 9:20 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 100
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 100
A friend gave me a complete bead blasted primed and painted under the box spare tire carrier to hang off my 49 GMC 1/2 ton! Beautiful thing. How can ya go wrong? Well, hold on, maybe there's a way.
I installed the carrier okay, but the sliding part sticks out two or three inches beyond where the locking hook drops from the bed to hold it. I am really grateful my pal passed it along, but I don't think I should spend too much longer trying to force things into place.
What I need to know is, do those carriers come in one length for early model ADs and another for later models? And maybe I have the wrong year?
I don't know but I am beginning to suspect....


Never start vast projects with half vast ideas.
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
I do not know if they made different length ones, perhaps they did, I believe they used these before the AD years. But you may have gotten a reproduction one. Those are too long as you describe. Here is a way to tell: look under the end where the J hook enters. Is there an oblong collar welded in place? The originals would have one to utilize the lock for these things.

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
retread,
You dont say if the sliding part of the carrier is able to slide all the way forward to the extreme forward point of the rail. If so, and if the carrier is too long to allow the J bolt to align up correctly then I would agree that the carrier portion is too long.

My repro carrier was originally deemed as being too long based upon the size of the original spare. But now that I have bought a new spare which is (larger) the same size as my current running tires, it fits very tight.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 481
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 481
I have compared an original 46 and an original 50 side by side and the carrier length is the same. The receivers differ at their forward mount. The response by Brian above is a good way to know if your carrier is a repo.

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
If it is true that a repro carrier is longer than an original, this this is about the only time you'll see me root for the repro family. As I said in an earlier post, while I had my backend torn apart I decided to replace my old spare with a new one which finally matches the size of my other 4 tires (6.50 - 17). If I had an original I don't think the new spare would fit.

Here's a shot of my repro with the original spare. Notice the space between the tire and carrier:

http://www.cmaynard.com/Truck/IMG_0665.JPG

Here's a newer shot with my new spare. Are we talking tight fit?

http://www.cmaynard.com/Truck/IMG_1458.JPG


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am almost certain that the carriers for Panels and Suburbans are longer. I have several of them but have never tried to force them to fit a pickup.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0