Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,130 Posts1,056,717 Members48,454 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 | I know we all have our favorites, what are yours? I probably won't use it very often since the brake/gas lines have been replaced, but in case I do.. I am not looking for the most expensive, but don't want a cheapy either. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | http://www.brakequip.com/shop/high-speed-flaring-tool-kit-standard-sae-bq351I went with this one. Higher priced and yes, not used often, but I did it anyway because its for not just brakes, but fuel, vac lines, everything. Works with stainless (hard) and softer metals too. I just got sick and tired of that dumass little flaring tool that we all have slipping and then wondering if the slippage is why I have leaks. You can do it for your friends too. Great stuff. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 3,608 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 3,608 | That's the one that Tiny did a workshop on at the Reunion last fall. More cost, but worked slick with no split ends.
Don 1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck"The Flag Pole"In the Stovebolt Gallery1946 2-Ton grain truck 1946 3/4-ton pickup, 1953 1-ton pickup 1957 1-ton flatbed dually, 1954 Pontiac Straight Eight Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most! | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | Yes Don. I was there! Same one.  | | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,729 24601 | | 24601 Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,729 | Actually, it was Mike Wahl  And I'll concur with Deve and Don -- I have three flaring kits in my tool cabinet (Chinese, NAPA and Snap-On) and I hate ALL of them. Mike showed us how to use that one and I did a perfect flare first attempt. Made me want to rip out all my brake lines in all my vehicles and redo them. Well, not really, but you get the point. 
~ John A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult. 1949 Chevrolet 3804In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum1973 IH 1310 Dump1963 Kaiser M38A12001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley) | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | At least you have a cabinet. All I have is box.  | | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,729 24601 | | 24601 Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,729 | Not to brag or anything, but I actually have several cabinets. A friend gave them to me when he redid his kitchen 
~ John A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult. 1949 Chevrolet 3804In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum1973 IH 1310 Dump1963 Kaiser M38A12001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley) | | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 3,608 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 3,608 | Darn it, I should have never tried to name someone. Sorry Mike and Sorry Tiny for the mixup.
But it did work slick and would be worth the extra money, with just the tubing scrap saving alone.
Don 1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck"The Flag Pole"In the Stovebolt Gallery1946 2-Ton grain truck 1946 3/4-ton pickup, 1953 1-ton pickup 1957 1-ton flatbed dually, 1954 Pontiac Straight Eight Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most! | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | I also have the brakequip kit, the larger one, and extremely satisfied with it. Not quite cheap but well worth the money, and perfect flares always, all materials. I've also bought several kits at once (better prices in quantity) and passed them on to friends, they have all also been pleased with them.
I too have had other lesser tools, even the expensive Fed-Hill, Brakequip gets my vote for best tool and value.
Grigg | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | It was Grigg that mentioned it here a long time ago that got me to thinking about it. I think I paid like $300 for it. I know that sounds crazy to pay that much for something that replaces two pieces of steel and a wing nut, but that is one issue I don't have to think about anymore.
The BQ351 is the intro kit, the one I have, and the BQ350 is the pro kit and the difference is the pro kit goes to 1/2" and does the 37 degree AN style too. If you choose later to upgrade to the pro kit, you can just order the extra parts separate since the boxes are the same. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 467 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 467 | I have the Mastercool hydraulic unit and I am very happy with it..in fact so are my neighbours, buddies, etc... Once they use it they are sold. Not cheap tho. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 | This sounds like a very well made tool and I do appreciate good quality when I can afford it. I am just looking for more options. Thanks for the information on a obviously well made tool, however it is not in my budget. Steve | | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 1,611 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 1,611 | Steve,
I agree, that flaring tool looks sweet, but too much for my budget. I bought a good-old plain Jane USA made double flaring tool from Sears for ~$45. The design is much like the cheapo Chinese versions but was tooled much more precisely. It seems to be relatively well made and has created many leak/crack free flares on steel lines. I would not recommend it for stainless though.
Paul | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 | Thanks Paul, not to discredit the other tool mentioned but as you suggested, there are good flaring tools out there. I would like to hear from more people and what they have and if they are satisfied with them. Steve | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | Eastwood is selling their version of the Brakequip system for $219. I know that they have a dealership with Brakequip so I would think its the very same system I have. http://www.eastwood.com/professiona...010&gclid=CLLHyM7r-8QCFZGDaQod4RQApAI know its alot of money, but over a lifetime, even using the best of the normal style ones, the sharpness of the grabbing portion of them decline, and you need to re-purchase new ones. If you do stainless, it was killing me trying to find a decent tool. If you never plan on doing stainless, you are good to go with the less expensive ones. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2003 Posts: 354 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2003 Posts: 354 | I have an old Superior 200 flaring tool someone gave me. It's just like all the other cheap ones except the face on the yoke where it contacts the die block is milled flat. I was missing the dies for double flares so I bought a cheap one at Autozone just to get the dies. I just replaced all the brake lines on my '41 with copper-nickel. I didn't have any problem making flares as long as I was careful to get everything lined up. I tested the lines with air pressure before adding fluid, had 2 or 3 that leaked but stopped when I tightened a little more.
Harold Wilson 41 Chevy 3/4 Ton
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 872 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 872 | I think the determining factor for a good flaring tool comes down to 2 parts:
How much surface area is in contact with the tube to hold it in place and how accurate the die is placed.
Most $20 flare tools have a 1/2 thick clamp with multiple holes for tube sized. Well, take away a 1/4in for the flare bevel that leaves you with only about 1/4in to hold the tube in place.. not a lot to clamp and hold straight. The high end tools have at least 1/2-1 inch JUST for the line clamp.. much more clamping force.
Also the high end tools usually have a fixed mount for the dies, the cheap ones have a moveable horse shoe thing that needs to be lined up and can move.
Now just to find a $50 flare tool with those two features.... | | | | | Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 | Eastwood is selling their version of the Brakequip system for $219. I know that they have a dealership with Brakequip so I would think its the very same system I have. http://www.eastwood.com/professiona...010&gclid=CLLHyM7r-8QCFZGDaQod4RQApAI know its alot of money, but over a lifetime, even using the best of the normal style ones, the sharpness of the grabbing portion of them decline, and you need to re-purchase new ones. If you do stainless, it was killing me trying to find a decent tool. If you never plan on doing stainless, you are good to go with the less expensive ones. I have the Eastwood version and it makes great flares. EVERY flare I have ever made was great. It's a quality tool. I tried the bargain style that turn by hand and failed miserably. Sure, it can be done with those, but it's just not worth the hassle.
The Eastwood flaring tool is something I'm very happy with even though it cost a little bit more. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 | Thanks pfarber, do you know of one that has those features? I'm sure that it is possible to find something like you describe that falls somewhere between a cheapo and $200. Steve | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | I bought a kit from http://inlinetube.com/ . I think it is the same thing Eastwood sells. I hardly ever buy from Eastwood because most of their stuff isn't what they claim it to be. If theirs is the same thing, and I think it is, it is the only way to make flares. I also bought the kit to make 37° flares. The whole thing cost $300, but it makes the other flaring kits I have look like junk. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | I was very impressed with Brakequip's business model. Rather than keeping everything to themselves, they allow their vendors to customize and sell at a lower cost. Eastwood's offering IS the Brakequip solution. Had I known this earlier, I could have saved $100. I have a bad taste in my mouth over Eastwood in general, so it was hard for me, but in this case, its a win. Since I am hard headed about using Stainless Steel, and I order the tubing in 20 foot rolls from Summit, I also ordered the 1028 Tube Straightener. There is NO WAY you will be straightening Stainless 3/8" rolls without something like this: http://www.eastwood.com/tube-straightener.htmlThey are $70 cheaper than the Brakequip store. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 | I general, I have not been impressed with Eastwood. Eastwood probably deserves a little bad press now and then. I bought my Eastwood kit at the recommendation of someone I trusted and the tool did eveything they said it would, so I am very satisfied with this particular tool.
If you can buy the same tool under a different label, then I say spend the $200. You won't regret it. You will need a decent shop vise or other tool to anchor the flare tool for any flare procedure.
Here are some pics. Eastwood flare tool Ready to flare Flare complete Kit photo | | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 1,438 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 1,438 | Just noticed Eastwood has employee pricing - ends tonight though. Their tool regular $250 now $198.
Dennis
40 Chevy 1/2 ton
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 872 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 872 |
Last edited by pfarber; 04/20/2015 3:08 PM.
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | I think that Ridgid tool would be a good option at lower cost than the brakequip style, though not a full replacement for. I have a similar ridgid 37° single flare (not double) and it does a fine job, well made.
Prior to the Brakequip I used an Imperial traditional looking double flare tool with the little buttons. Not much good for stainless and not nearly as easy to use as Brakequip. Considering the price it too has a place, not a bad tool. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 467 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 467 | I have that Rigid set in a box somewhere. Not happy with it at all. It did not work well for me, especially 1/4" flares. | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | Mastercool This is what I use. I've tried a few other brands and types, this one outperforms them all. Plus, it'll make pretty much any type of flare you might come across. single 45, double 45, ISO bubble, GM and Ford push connect, plus there's a kit of dies for doing the 37 degree.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 872 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 872 | $400 brake line tools are really not an option... its well known that over the $200 mark the quality of the tool is impressive, and that $20 flare tools are not even a comparison.
My post is more about what makes the $200+ so much better than the $20. It sure is not $180 in metal. Much larger clamp area and positive setting of the die holder are the only two differences.
You'd think that someone else would have figured it out.
I like the Rigid tool design, and reviews have been mostly positive. And for $80 its not a horrendous expense... plus Home Depot will take it back if it doesn't work to your liking. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 467 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 467 | The Rigid was better made than most but up here in Canuckistan it was well over $100 and I had to buy it from an industrial sales supply. I found the grip on the dies was not great. This was a few years ago and I contacted Rigid Canada regarding my concerns and they told me it was not designed for steel brake line double flaring but primarily for refrigeration and air conditioning work. They did not recommend it for auto use
Looks like my results varied, others seem to love it.
That is when I went to Mastercool. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 | Bill, which model do you have? I did'nt find prices. Steve | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | Im seeing anywhere from $300 (71745 model) at Toolpan.com out of Los Angeles, to $540 at Eastwood.
Hydraulic is THE StoveBolt (Cadillac) of flaring equipment. But if you are doing less than 20 vehicles, the $200 Brakequip unit will get it done IN style! I WANT the hydraulic unit, and Toolpan's price may make it possible to get it, but if you arent in the brake/fuel business, hard to justify. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 1,438 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 1,438 | Eastwood's is on sale for $200.
Dennis
40 Chevy 1/2 ton
| | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | Bill, which model do you have? I did'nt find prices. Steve Steve, I got mine from a Snap-On dealer, it's Mastercool rebranded as Blue Point. I don't recall the model number, I'll have to check to see where it is, as my tools are in a bit of a disarray at the moment.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 591 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 591 | I have Mastercool. I used it to make steel fuel lines for my tri-carb 348. It was so easy and made perfect double flares every time. I was a bit disappointed when I ran out of things to make. It is one of the few tools I felt was worth the extra money. don | | | | | Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 467 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 467 | Just used my Mastercool on the weekend. Rear brake line broke on my 97 GMC. As Donsz said, actually enjoy making the flares. I replaced both lines on the rear axle and was back on the road fast. The tool is expensive but is more of a community resource now LOL.
Now if only my Motive pressure bleeder had the modern GM adapter...but my old vac unit works ok. | | |
| |