The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (JW51), 151 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 14
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 14
I have a 1953 Chevy 3100. The key can be pulled out of the ignition even when in the on position. The problem is that I have burnt out two coils in the last month by accidentally leaving the ignition in the on position. Do I have to replace the tumbler mechanism to fix this or is there and easier way?

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
Have you tried cutting a new key?

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Every original ignition switch and key on my 54 and earlier trucks allowed/allows the key to be removed when the switch was/is "on".

I got used to checking my fuel gauge before I exit the cab (that did not work with my Suburban that had a bad fuel gauge).

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
I don't know about all of them (being removable) but on the early AD's (47-48) and similar year GM cars it was actually a design setting. My 47-48 AD manuals show it as an operational feature.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/11597806626/in/set-72157631868452754
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/11597349184/in/set-72157631868452754

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 31
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 31
This is a "homemade" option on 2 of my 4 transport trucks. The other 2 have key fobs, so I can just keep the fob separate from the key. I love to be able to leave them running & lock the doors when I stop at a rest area to pee!


Bill's Auto Works
Your QUALITY Stovebolt Transporter | Est. 1983
Read more!
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
The 1957 school bus I rode to high school for 3 years had that type of switch, with the little tab on the bottom of the cylinder. We used to prank the bus driver by one of us distracting him and somebody else swiping the key to the bus. He finally started putting the key in his pocket once the bus was running!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
Don't expect the repro tumblers to be any better. I found that out the hard way.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 385
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 385
I saw a old scanned paper article about this some time ago. Its actually a feature made that way so you can leave it running and lock the doors.

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
But why was it so important to keep the motor running when you stepped out?


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

1948 truck Operator's Manual: Bottom of page: Switches - Ignition Switch

You can ask "why", but an answer is not in the book.

Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 385
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 385
possibly to let it run in colder climates and still lock it?

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
When it's below zero and you want to keep the cab heat up or get the windows defrosted.
When you had a hard start because of the above and you want don't want to do it again until the battery is recharged.

Foreign concepts in California.

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Originally Posted by newmexicojesse
I have a 1953 Chevy 3100. The key can be pulled out of the ignition even when in the on position. The problem is that I have burnt out two coils in the last month by accidentally leaving the ignition in the on position. Do I have to replace the tumbler mechanism to fix this or is there and easier way?

I purchased an original ignition from a fellow stovebolter a few years ago.
I never tried to pull the key out, but the key will pull out in the on position. I just cheked.

Recently I purchased a replacement ignition off ebay. I have not used it yet but I checked it, and the key will not pull out in the on position.

so if this is a concern just purchase a new replacement form one of the many vendors.



Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 164
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 164
I had a 64 olds cutlass that the key would pull out while the motor was running

Joe


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0